Founded in 1983, the Red Cross EU Office is a partnership between 29 National Red Cross Societies of the EU/EEA and the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
The Red Cross EU Office helps to coordinate relations between its member organisations and EU decisionmakers and stakeholders, sharing their expertise in supporting vulnerable people and communities within and outside the EU. Based on our members’ practical insights and technical experience, we promote the dignity and wellbeing of vulnerable people by facilitating and voicing common positions and recommendations towards the EU and Member States. We also monitor European developments that could impact the implementation of our members’ work, as well as supporting them to prepare joint proposals to access EU funding.
For more information please visit www.redcross.eu.
You can also connect with us via Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
The Senior Communications Officer leads on the overall planning, development, delivery and monitoring of Red Cross EU Office external and internal communications. He/she supports visibility and advocacy objectives by contributing to public positioning, producing communications materials for dissemination to specific audiences across different platforms, and responding to stakeholders’ communications and media requests. The Senior Communications Officer also manages the public relations aspects of Red Cross EU Office events, as well as ensuring accurate and timely reporting to members, and advising them on communications issues vis-à-vis the EU as policy maker, partner and donor.
- Contribute to the development of all public-facing materials produced by the office; ensure adequate quality control, copy-editing/proof-reading, and layout/design (web and print);
- Produce press material targeting the EU press corps; identify opportunities for media coverage and manage media interviews;
- Source, draft and upload content to the Red Cross EU Office public website;
- Oversee and update the office intranet (members' area) in collaboration with policy advisors;
- Guide, source and implement social media communications and positioning;
- Monitor and analyse RCEU digital communications, generating regular analytics reports;
- Manage the public relations and communications aspects of events organised by the office;
- Coordinate the production and dissemination of internal monthly reports;
- Advise/support members in Brussels-based visibility efforts & EU visibility requirements;
- Support the development and coordination of joint communications and advocacy efforts between members on request.
- University degree in journalism, communications, EU affairs, international relations, or similar.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in communications, journalism, or a related field;
- Experience in writing for web, as well as in developing and managing websites;
- Demonstrated community management and use of social media for advocacy purposes;
- Experience in producing media materials and working with journalists;
- Background in handling communications aspects of events;
- Interest in advocacy and in promoting the rights and needs of vulnerable people and communities;
- Experience/knowledge of the work and policy processes of the EU institutions - preferred;
- Experience with the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, a membership office, or another civil society organisation – preferred.
- Ability and willingness to work in a team;
- Excellent communication skills, including solid writing/editorial expertise;
- Computer literate and strong digital knowhow;
- Organised, with ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Native level spoken and written English;
- Good command of another EU language (knowledge of French is an asset).
Terms and Conditions
- Maternity cover from June 2020 to February 2021. “Contrat de Remplacement” subject to Belgian Social Legislation;
- Full time position of 38 hours per week;
- Based in Brussels, Belgium, with occasional travel within Europe;
- The monthly gross salary ranges between EUR 3,000 and EUR 3,500, depending on experience. We further offer an attractive compensation and benefits package.
Please send your CV (max two pages), a cover letter (max one page), and an unedited example of your written work (max one page) – all in English by midnight CET, 22 March 2020.
Please include the job title and your full name in the file names, and mention “Senior Communications Officer” in the email subject.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Prospective candidates may also be asked to carry out a written assignment in English as part of the selection procedure.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org