Amnesty International is seeking a Researcher/ Adviser to develop policy positions on specific issues and developments related to the climate crisis. Applying human rights standards and Amnesty International policies you will translate analysis into action that will further develop the implementation of Amnesty International’s strategy on climate change and environmental degradation.
You will work closely with country and thematic researchers, advocates and campaigners in the International Secretariat and sections and structures working on human rights aspects of the climate crisis. You will develop policy positions and provide advice on the application and development of AI’s human rights policies regarding research projects, advocacy initiatives, and campaigns. You will be expected to bring or to develop specific areas of expertise in the field of climate change and human rights, including on a just and human rights consistent transition, human rights consistent emission reduction plans and adaptation measures. You will also work with colleagues in the Programme to ensure effective, coherent and timely approvals and consultations.
With demonstrated professional experience of working with human rights or climate change issues and an expert understanding of the international human rights legal framework, and relevant regional and national legal frameworks; you will have in-depth experience of human rights research for advocacy purposes: conducting research using a range of appropriate methodologies, analyzing and presenting findings, identifying advocacy targets and applying research-based analysis to campaigning for human rights change.
You will have extensive experience in policy development and detailed knowledge and experience of national, regional and/or international policy and advocacy processes related to human rights and climate change. You will have the ability to formulate coherent policies based on a detailed understanding of human rights principles and AI’s core values. You will have good knowledge of law, politics, international relations or other fields related to human rights.
You will have demonstrated excellent research, analytical and writing skills as well as strong advisory and communication skills. You will have experience of planning, organizing and prioritising work under pressure and to deadlines. Excellent team skills are essential in this position. You will also have excellent external representational skills. You will have outstanding written and verbal English and the ability to work to in another language, French or Arabic is an advantage.
1. Professional experience in human rights and/or climate change.
2. Ability to formulate coherent policies based on a detailed understanding of human rights principles and AI’s core values.
3. Good knowledge of law, politics, international relations, or other fields related to human rights, and expertise in the area of climate change and the environment.
4. Demonstrated research and analytical skills and/or extensive knowledge of and experience in the application of international law, including human rights law, humanitarian law, environmental law and/or criminal law.
5. Strong advisory and communication skills
6. Excellent ability to evaluate situations and issues in the short, medium and long term, set strategic goals in accordance with organizational priorities, monitor plans, and evaluate outcomes.
7. Excellent ability to plan and prioritize work, including when under pressure, and to ensure that deadlines are met.
8. Excellent ability to work cooperatively internally and externally with others, including with people from diverse backgrounds.
9. Excellent ability to write clearly and concisely, without need for significant editorial revision.
10. Outstanding written and verbal English is essential; in addition, the ability to work to a high professional level in another widely-used language, particularly French or Arabic, will be an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org