The Consultant will report to Dr. Gillian Smith, FAO Representative. The consultant will receive direct supervision and overall guidance from the FAO Representative and in close coordination with the Regional Communication Officer of RLC.
In accordance with prevailing FAO Corporate Communications policies and practices, the Communications Consultant will be responsible for the following tasks and responsibilities:
Tasks and responsibilities
- Increase awareness and raise the visibility of FAO in the media, positioning the Organization as the lead United Nations agency in the fight against hunger and malnutrition.
- Promote the organization’s mandate and areas of work under the three Regional Initiatives, in the framework of FAO´s corporate communication policy and the RLC´s Regional Communication Strategy.
- Foster greater information and knowledge exchange with key stakeholders, development partners, NGOs and Civil Society in the agriculture sector.
Under the direct supervision and overall guidance of the FAO Representative and in close coordination with the Regional Communication Officer of RLC, the Communications Consultant will:
- Ensure the presence of FAO in the top tier media and in public opinion as an official and key source of information on all priority areas of FAO.
- Write press releases as required and adapt press releases originated in Headquarters and the Regional Office to the national context and disseminate to the media
- Pitch human interest and success stories to increase appearances of FAO in the media.
- Disseminate in relevant media outlets Op-Eds prepared by Headquarters and the Regional Office
- Design and implement a national communication plan in line with the respective Country Programming Frameworks (CPFs) and both the Regional Communication Strategy and FAO´s Corporate Communication Strategy.
- Create and/or update the Representation´s database including press contacts, international organizations, NGOs, donors interested in receiving information from FAO.
- Support public communication activities of the Representation through drafting of talking points, speeches, press releases, OP-EDs and organization of interviews, events, photos and other communication products.
- Support the Representative and FAO officers in the preparation of presentations, interviews and FAO advocacy documents.
- Revise and edit documents and reports as required and act as focal point for FAO publications, in close collaboration with the Officer responsible for publications in the RLC Office
- Document results of FAO programs and projects (photos, videos, interviews with beneficiaries, partners and FAO officials) and write stories for dissemination on national or sub-regional/regional websites, FAO homepage and/or newsletters as required
- Provide support for exhibition planning and assist in the preparation and set up of booth and other displays for FAO at major events.
- Support the Senior Officers’ Media Initiative (SOMI).
- Update the official website of the Representation or contribute to the sub-regional website with all relevant information products in close collaboration with RLC Officer responsible for digital media.
- Promote FAOs work and campaigns via social media (FAO in the Caribbean Twitter Account, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram) in collaboration with RLC officer responsible for digital media
- Prepare weekly inputs for RLC´s ¨FAO in the Media¨ newsletter
- Participate in all virtual meetings (online) and/or trainings scheduled and conducted by the Regional Office.
- Provide support to ensure high visibility of World Food Day activities in the country in top tier media and on social media channels
- Ensure adequate dissemination of the Regional Office´s flagship publications through the local network of media contacts, institutions and organizations.
- Any other required activity in order to fulfill the objectives, or requested by the Representative, Regional Office or Headquarters.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- The candidate should possess a University degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field.
- At least 2 years work experience in media outlets.
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- National of Guyana or resident with a work permit.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus.
- Building Effective Relationships.
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement.
- The candidate must have professional work experience in communication, journalism, print or digital media, and report writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work with national and international organizations.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Competent in the use of computer and internet/information software, use of desktop publishing software.
- Selection Criteria 1: Education: Level completed, relevancy and quality.
- Selection Criteria 2: Previous Work Experience: Amount, location, relevancy and quality.
- Selection Criteria 3: Communication: Written, oral and interpersonal.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org