PAIR’s educational mentoring programs empower refugee youth to navigate American society, reach their academic potential, and become community leaders. The Global Scholars case management and mentoring program supports high school juniors and seniors as they pursue high school graduation and post-secondary education.
The Program Coordinator (PC) collaborates with PAIR staff and volunteer mentors to plan, implement, and evaluate an educational program for refugee youth ages 16-20. The goal of the program is to increase refugee student graduation rates and participation in higher education.
This position is suitable for those with practical experience working directly with at-risk youth, conducting grassroots outreach to participants in schools and apartment complexes, implementing educational programming, working with community volunteers, and providing case management and/or college access services to diverse populations.
PAIR’s Global Scholars is a community-based mentoring and case management program for 11th and 12th grade refugee students in the greater Houston area. Students in this program are assigned an adult mentor and work with PAIR’s program staff to receive individualized support in the students’ pursuit of high school graduation, career exploration, and preparation for post-secondary education.
This is a year-round position, starting August 1, 2020. Paid, part time training may be available before August 1, 2020.
The Program Coordinator will work under the supervision of the High School Program Director on the following:
Outreach and Case Management
· Recruit and enroll 20-25 students in the mentoring program: educate students and parents; provide orientation during home visits; attend after-school programs to meet and establish relationships with students; ensure enrollment forms are signed and returned to SPM
· Schedule and facilitate mentor and student introductory, check-in, and closure meetings
· Manage a caseload of 15- 20 students. Provide one-on-one support to students to:
· Research colleges and other post-secondary education opportunities
· Help students complete college and scholarship applications, which includes writing and revising college essays and applications, developing resumes, writing and/or obtaining and sending letters of recommendation
· Help students complete the FAFSA and school-specific financial aid applications, and evaluate their financial aid award letters
· Provide information and answer student questions; contact institutions and community organizations on their behalf
· Provide transportation and attend school-related appointments to advocate for students
· Document activity and record progress in case notes; collect student data throughout the year and surveys at the end of program
· Enter data in Salesforce or the appropriate database and/or spreadsheet
· Research college and scholarship resources for students and mentors; contribute curriculum content and resources
· Partner with school resources to ensure students are maximizing tutoring and career office supports
· Ensure stewardship of PAIR’s Educational Scholarships, including tracking donor investments, student awards, and payments for qualifying educational expenses on behalf of Scholars
· Encourage ongoing communication with Scholars ‘Alumni’ including supporting Scholarship Awards, and tracking progress towards credential completion
· Organize group events, including student workshops, community service activities, field trips, celebrations and mentor meetings
· Support Volunteer Coordinator in the recruitment and screening of new volunteer mentors
· Review volunteer applications and make match decisions
· Supervise, and coach volunteers to be effective mentors
· Monitor mentoring activity and provide guidance and encouragement to volunteers
· Manage mentor communications, including a monthly newsletter and social media groups
Media and Support Services
· Develop and translate recruitment and other program materials for students, parents and volunteers
· Create program-related content for PAIR social media
· Provide program input and feedback; report successes and inform SPM of opportunities for promoting the program
PAIR’s competitive benefits package includes salary commensurate with experience, company paid health, short term disability and life insurance, paid vacation, sick leave and company holidays and mileage reimbursement for position-related travel.
Please submit your cover letter, resume, and three references. Use the subject line: Application for Global Scholars Program Coordinator
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org