The Director, People Operations provides strategic leadership and tactical guidance to implement and enhance Room to Read’s (RtR) labor law and policy compliance, approaches to global compensation and benefits, performance management, employee relations, recruitment and employee lifecycle, and duty of care. The Director will help shape the evolution of Room to Read’s global workforce in an increasingly virtual and variable program environment, while fostering employee respect, global cohesion, and a commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. The Director acts as a strategic advisor to the Vice President of People Operations on all human resources issues and partners with Room to Read’s global management and senior leadership teams to develop, adapt, and implement strategies, programs and systems to ensure that staff are positioned to achieve RtR’s mission. The role requires strong ability to drive results, deep functional expertise and global human resource experience, and a commitment to continuous enhancement of systems, processes, and staff capabilities.
The role will work with all levels of the organization and must demonstrate a customer service orientation focusing on, contributing to, and modeling Room to Read’s value-based culture. We are looking for someone with professional discretion, independent and impeccable judgment, and initiative and follow through,
This position reports to the Vice President, People Operations. It is preferred that this position is based in Room to Read’s San Francisco Headquarters, but the organization may be open to applicants based in other locations. The Director will supervise a team of People Operations Analysts and Associates with the overall responsibility of leading, training, and mentoring for effective performance. The Director, in partnership with the People Operations Director, Asia, helps build the capacity of regionally based and country office People Operations Managers and other personnel to ensure consistent, worldwide People Operations practices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Labor Law and Policy Compliance
- Creates, maintains, interprets, and distributes worldwide and country-specific People Operations policies and procedures.
- Advises and provides guidance and clarifications about the application of Room to Read’s global People Operations policies and procedures.
- Leads the development and ongoing review of all employee handbooks globally.
- Prepares and presents informational seminars to staff on new policies, annual People Operations processes, and other People Operations activities and/or functions.
- Ensures compliance with local labor and immigration legislation in the United States and other global markets.
- Monitors changes in U.S. and other partners’ (ex. USAID) employment regulations and laws, as well as trends, practices, and developments in People Operations and the not-for-profit sector, which may impact Room to Read and its employees. Recommends changes to existing policies and drafts new policies to ensure compliance with key legal requirements.
Global Compensation & Benefits
- Oversees and analyzes employee benefit program globally and makes recommendations for improvements
- Leads the international compensation program in partnership with the People Operations Associate Manager
- Analyzes People Operations metrics. Identifies and monitors trends, recommending changes to People Operations’ processes, policies, and practices to improve their efficiency and effectiveness.
- Leads and enhances Room to Read’s Performance Management program, in line with best practice in the nonprofit sector and globally.
- Launches and monitors goal-setting and reviews processes globally.
- Provide training, support and follow-up to ensure that supervisors and employees meet Performance Management deadlines.
- Analyzes Room to Read’s Staff Satisfaction Survey and makes recommendations for enhancements. Reviews the analysis and action plans completed by People Operations Managers in specific country offices.
- Continuously seeks opportunities to optimize efficiency in People Operations processes and programs.
- Advises and coaches supervisors to manage issues and concerns with direct reports and teams.
- Evaluates employee relations issues and meets with supervisors and employees to determine effective intervention for resolution. Proactively escalates critical issues as appropriate.
- Monitors, updates, and conducts training on core People Operations tools (Job Descriptions, and Staffing Models).
- Develops, supports, and implements a global Diversity and Inclusion plan.
Recruitment and Employee Lifecycle
- Oversees and improves onboarding and offboarding processes, in partnership with the People Operations Analyst
- Partners with Program Operations and project managers to ensure Room to Read hires and manages custom project staff and non-staff in accordance with Room to Read’s policies and standards.
- Conducts other duties, as requested.
- Bachelor's degree in People Operations Management, or a related field
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience including relevant experience as an HR Generalist, preferably including at least 5 years of being principally responsible for global compensation and benefits, performance management, labor law and policy compliance, employee relations, and recruitment and employee life cycle.
- Experience supervising and motivating high-performing teams
- Experience delivering presentations and coaching staff at all levels of an organization
- Ability and interest in both qualitative and quantitative tasks
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
- Proven track record of achieving results
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
- HR certifications (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP)
- Knowledge of international labor laws in areas of employee relations, payroll, and benefits
- Experience working with HRMS, specifically Workday
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org