WFP Haiti is looking for a Head of Programmes (HoP)/Programme Policy Officer at P4 level to develop, manage and implement WFP programmes and policies to address some of the critical challenges faced by vulnerable people in the country. The HoP will be responsible for a diverse team of about 30 national and international professionals working in various programmatic areas such as school meals, emergency response (in-kind, cash and mixed approaches), nutrition, disaster risk reduction, and climate change adaptation. The WFP operation in Haiti is currently expanding and adapting to respond to growing immediate needs stemming from the socio-political instability and the COVID-19 crisis. The organisation is working to strengthen national capacities to address structural vulnerabilities affecting the lives of millions of Haitians.
The post holder will report directly to the Deputy Country Director and will work in close collaboration with other units’ heads (e.g. Supply Chain, Resources Management, Finance, Monitoring and Reporting, Social Protection) to ensure that WFP programmes are coherently integrated into the Peace-Humanitarian-Development nexus.
The HoP will liaise with Regional Bureau and HQ to follow programme guidance and implement the latest lessons learnt related to programmatic activities in Haiti as well as new potential initiatives.
- Lead and inspire a team of approximately 30 diverse professionals, set and follow up on priorities, manage performances and offer advice and opportunities for career and professional development;
- Formulate WFP programme plans in line with both organisational strategy and the practical realities of operating in the field in Haiti;
- Provide advice and support to field offices delivering a complex portfolio of programmes to clarify ambiguities and ensure that policy and programme operations are consistent with WFP policies;
- Provide leadership in mobilising technical expertise on a wide range of programmes and policy issues including assessment, analysis, choice of objectives, activities, transfer modalities and appropriate food products. Facilitate deployment and testing of innovative approaches and develop strategies to support government efforts to reduce hunger and malnutrition;
- Assist senior government stakeholders and other partners in identifying food assistance priorities and needs of the country and its people. Provide support and technical expertise for planning, development and implementation of programmes to strengthen government and community ownership and effectiveness of food security and nutrition at national and sub-national levels;
- Develop operational and maintain established strategic partnerships to identify opportunities for collaborative initiatives that improve assistance packages and support advocacy work;
- Enhance WFP’s leadership status in different forums on subjects related to food security, nutrition, livelihoods, resilience, engagement in humanitarian, transition and development contexts and other related issues through direct participation, briefings, information products and other materials;
- Contribute to the design and resource mobilization efforts, including the development and drafting of project proposals and their budgets;
- Collaborate with the WFP Monitoring and Evaluation unit to establish sound monitoring systems and coordinate data gathering, ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained;
- Manage or oversee timely preparation and dissemination of analytical reports, publications, and a variety of information products or proposals for internal or external use;
- Ensure the best use of assigned financial resources for achievement of set objectives within a significant budget;
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender and protection perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men;
- Contribute to Country Office Emergency Preparedness i.e. early warning, risk analysis, and contingency planning in order to respond to humanitarian crises and needs;
- Other as required.
- You have a passion for improving lives of millions of people living in poverty and hunger;
- You have a solid background in managing teams and programmes in complex humanitarian and development contexts, you keep abreast of the latest policy developments on a range of humanitarian issues, including linking humanitarian and development action;
- You are highly adaptive and able to communicate effectively with diverse audiences who might not share the same technical knowledge;
- You can prioritize and strike a balance between ideal goals and operational requirements, and translate gender and protection objectives into tangible results on the ground.
- Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses;
- At least eight (8) years of professional experience with gradually increasing responsibilities in designing, implementing, and monitoring humanitarian and/or development programmes with international governmental or non-governmental organisations;
- Successful track record in supervising multinational and multifunctional teams in complex operational environments;
- Expertise in planning, prioritizing and managing resources (assets, budgets, etc) efficiently;
- Ability to communicate with communities and negotiate with government/ partners in support of Country Office requirements.
Additional/Nice have requirements:
- Previous work experience in a UN agency at field or national level;
- Previous work experience in the Latin American and Caribbean region;
- Knowledgeable and experienced in inter-agency coordination in humanitarian settings
- Experience in different programme approaches including managing emergency response operations using different transfer modalities;
- Has collaborated with government agencies to identify needs and implement food assistance programmes;
- Has led team in strategic discussions.
- Fluency (level C) in French and intermediate knowledge (level B) in English languages.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org;p[[-