Varian Medical Systems, Inc. (NYSE: VAR), of Palo Alto, California, is the world’s leading manufacturer of radiation therapy medical devices and software for treating cancer and other medical conditions. Varian Medical Systems has revenues of approximately $3.3 billion and employs approximately 10,000 people located at U.S., Asia Pacific, and European manufacturing sites and in 56 sales and support offices around the world.
Position : This position, located in Washington, DC and reporting directly to the Senior Vice President, Government Affairs & Market Development, will create, manage and lead the company’s U.S., Canada and Latin America government affairs and public policy function. This role will be responsible for developing the company’s government relations, public policy strategies, as well as assisting on the implementation of market access and the company’s market development efforts as it relates to the business in both the U.S. and Latin America. This position will also be involved in the company’s commercial business development, and regulatory strategies for the oncology systems’ portfolio of the company. The candidate will assist in growing the public policy function and supervise relevant regional projects.
Responsibilities : The individual will -
- Advise and counsel the company's executives on public policy and governmental matters, including pending legislation/regulations and policy initiatives and their potential implications to the company.
- Develop, in partnership with company executives and business unit stakeholders, the company's government relations and public policy strategy and agenda as it relates to the company’s strategy and help prioritize actions and resources.
- Develop relationships with trade organizations, strategic industry groups and patient advocacy organizations in order to influence legislation, regulations and public policy that affect the industry and advance the company’s interests.
- Develop relationships with key Members of Congress and their staff and administrative agency persons and other organizations to educate such persons on issues of importance to the company such as expanding access to oncology products in certain markets, reimbursement of certain products, and regulatory approvals of technologies.
- Develop thought leadership and influence commercial strategies.
- Work with leaders of government and industry to influence public policy, monitor government initiatives and advocate for specific plans to advance the company's objectives.
- Manage the Varian Political Action Committee and supervise all federal government relations activities.
- Manage and balance external and internal resources.
Background/Requirements of Successful Candidate :
We are seeking candidates with over 10 years of legislative, governmental agency and/or trade or industry association experience and experience within the private sector in increasingly responsible Government Relations/External Affairs roles which include:
- Experience in healthcare government policy and its impact on the private sector
- Knowledge and ability to appropriately influence the political/policy process, including working with and managing consultants and lobbyists;
- Experience in legislative and public policy making processes including on Capitol Hill and in Administrative Agencies;
- Experience in developing partnerships with trade association and other industry partners in order to push an agenda;
- Formulating and implementing business development, government relations and external affairs policies;
- Demonstrated ability to analyze key regulatory and policy issues in light of the company’s strategic goals and to focus on those issues that advance (or could potentially inhibit) the company’s competitive business interests.
- Demonstrated ability to partner effectively with internal business stakeholders.
- Record of achievement and accomplishment.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
Experience working in the healthcare industry or other highly-regulated industry.
Must be organized and a self-starter and be able to work alone and with a matrixed staff.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org