Verto Education offers an innovative way for students to have a more meaningful first year of college. Through Verto, students can spend their first year of college abroad, get admitted to a better college, and stay on track to graduate in four years. Students can also apply to 40+ partner schools through Verto, including William & Mary, Bucknell University, and University of Oregon, where their credits will transfer seamlessly keeping them on track to graduate in four years.
Our mission is to empower every student to spend impactful time abroad during their college career, and graduate with a better understanding of themselves, and the world around them. Verto Education is accredited through Portland State University.
Online Instructor, Truth and American Politics
As a Verto Online Instructor, you will serve as the lead facilitator of a freshmen-level course in Cultural Geography through on online platform.
Course Description: Truth and American Politics
Truth and American Politics
Asking the essential question “Does our democracy require truth?,” Truth and American Politics is an active exploration of the importance of information trust in American society, specifically in politics and government, and explicitly in an election year. Examine political discourse and online information sharing to determine credible sources of information, understand how to verify the information and how to use the information to debunk falsity. Through case studies and readings, this course builds students’ knowledge of the functions of government, politics, civil liberties and civil rights.
This course will be taught online for the Fall 2020 Semester.
- Provide an engaging classroom experience through a combination of lectures and structured academic activities.
- Collaborate with a dynamic team of Program Leaders, Instructors, Regional Managers and in country staff to incorporate experiences which relate to class concepts
- Deliver Course through an online platform
- Engage with students and help them connect the coursework to what they are experiencing.
- Facilitate coursework in compliance with credit requirements as set by the Course Director.
- Maintain flexibility with curriculum as dictated by a changing travel itinerary.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with Verto students, staff, and community partners.
- Evaluate students’ course submissions, provide ongoing feedback and a final marking of students’ mastery of course objectives.
- Work closely with other instructors and academic success coordinators to support students with accommodations and all students as they navigate potential challenges of a traveling program
- Other duties as reasonably assigned.
- Master's Degree from an accredited university in political science, ethics or a closely related field.
- Minimum of 2-4 years of experience in college-level classroom teaching.
- A demonstrated record of teaching excellence and ability to work with undergraduate students in a close student/faculty relationship.
- Experience delivering a curriculum and facilitating experiential education with proven success.
- Must be 24 years of age or older by September 1, 2020.
- Ability to attend Verto training mid-August.
- Ability to facilitate a course online on one a Verto program from mid-September to early December.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills and interest working with college students.
- Patient, enthusiastic, analytical, and solution-oriented. No day is the same on a Verto program, so adaptability is key.
- Appreciation for diversity in cultures and experiences.
- Familiarity with teaching students with Individualized Education Programs and accommodations.
- A willingness to empathize with, and adapt to, students varied academic backgrounds and learning abilities.
- Passion for immersive education experiences and knowledge of local and regional customs and norms in program location(s) through firsthand experience.
- Passion for discussion-based learning and helping students make meaning of their experiences.
- Understands the value of experiential education and travel for young people.
- Eager to learn from colleagues and enjoys open collaboration and teamwork.
- Able to maintain excellence under pressure and ever-changing conditions.
- Able to follow organizational protocols while working independently.
- High level of proficiency with Google Drive, Skype, and WhatsApp.
Work and Environmental Conditions
- This position is remote.
- The work pace is continually fast-paced and work is required for more than 4 hours at time.
- Low supervision from managers with infrequent prompts.
- Travel is required up to 0% of the time.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org