The Waterfront Alliance is a civic organization that brings together a diverse coalition of more than 1,100 stakeholders with ties to the New York–New Jersey waterways. Founded in 2007, our mission is to inspire and effect resilient, revitalized, and accessible coastlines for all communities. Key programs and advocacy areas include climate resilience, public access to the waterfront, the working waterfront, and climate education. This year, we have launched a multi-year campaign for regional resilience, to identify and advocate for our region’s most urgent resilience investments and policy changes. The climate resilience organizer will support the campaign, Rise to Resilience.
The climate resilience organizer will support the Waterfront Alliance’s director of resilience and a developing coalition to build and execute a strategy for advancing the Rise to Resilience coalition. The organizer will focus on building and strengthening relationships with new and existing coalition partners, especially those most affected by (and least able to adapt to) climate change. Additionally, the organizer will support the organizing of community-based actions to advance legislative priorities, as well as event management and communications efforts related to the campaign.
- Manages coalition partner intake and cultivation, including attending/presenting at partner meetings, conducting outreach to community stakeholders in New York and northern New Jersey, and mobilizing partners to implement campaign actions.
- Manages the planning and management of regular coalition partner meetings.
- Support policy development and advancement through research, drafting, and engagement with coalition issue leads.
- Manages campaign related events, including City of Water Day/BlueLine, climate town halls, and other events identified to support the campaign’s reach (in-person and digital events, as required)
- Supports communications efforts, including drafting content for emails, social media, and outreach materials; contributed to op-eds, blog posts, press releases, etc.
- Oversees database management, meeting scheduling, and other administrative tasks relevant to the campaign.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by the director of resilience.
- One to three years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coalition-build to elevate community priorities into policy changes
- Knowledge of issues related to the campaign (climate resilience, environmental justice, land use, labor, housing, and environment) in New York and New Jersey
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and presentation ability
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of stakeholders and a commitment to prioritizing/elevating the voices of underrepresented communities
- Ability to work some evenings (for community meetings) and limited travel within New Jersey and New York City (remote until further notice)
- Existing relationships with leadership of climate resilience, environmental justice, land use, labor, housing, and environmental organizations a plus
- Experience with graphic design, marketing, social media platforms a plus
- Spanish language speaker a plus
Waterfront Alliance offers a comprehensive benefits package, including employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurances; life insurance; 401K retirement plan with employer match; paid time off, and more.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and two original writing samples (no more than five pages each) as a single PDF. The subject should indicate “Climate Resilience Organizer.” Only complete applications will be considered. Position open until filled. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org