Surgo combines behavioral science, AI and data science to bring precision to solutions that save and improve lives. With a laser focus on uncovering the ‘why’, we partner with organizations and governments to help unlock some of their biggest challenges. Surgo works on major global issues from COVID in the US to reproductive health in India. Our multidisciplinary team includes development experts, data scientists, behavioral scientists, and technologists who are skilled in collecting and interpreting data on why people behave the way they do, how complex systems work, and in developing scalable tools. We are a small but diverse team with big plans.
Our organization is growing fast and we are looking for a versatile program manager with deep expertise in public health. Someone who knows not only how to manage programs but can also lead key pieces of organizational strategy and scope new programs. Someone who is passionate about using data to drive social impact. Someone who can bring rigorous, strategic thinking while getting in the weeds of designing and managing programs. Someone who is highly adaptable yet brings deep technical expertise in public health (ideally both domestic and global). The role provides an avenue for career growth inside a young and dynamic organization and an opportunity to shape strategy and partnerships.
The Program Manager is responsible for end-to-end management and execution of a portfolio of Surgo health programs. In close collaboration with the leadership team, the PM will be responsible for designing and leading programs grounded in deep analytics and strategy work. This role entails strong relationship management with a diverse set of partners including other foundations, implementing organizations, governments, and private sector partners. The PM is also responsible for constantly researching and scoping opportunities and new ideas to ensure Surgo is bringing cutting edge analysis and solutions, and at the same time ensuring alignment with the policies and strategic plans of partners and governments.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Program Scoping and Design
- Scope and design new programs – conduct rigorous background research, stakeholder consultations, lead comprehensive design process, develop programs and metrics, etc. that are in line with Surgo and other partner’s strategy
- Build long lasting relationships to meet Surgo’s goals, and contribute to business development to expand our programs
- Program Management and Partnership
- Program management from end-to-end including: design, budget development, planning, execution, and reporting
- Monitor implementation of individual programs through day-to-day coordination, analysis and review of data, field visits, and problem solving
- Provide technical and managerial support to partners on the ground
- Bring technical knowledge and know-how to design pilots and operational research to test opportunities for Surgo programs
- Be a source of in-depth technical knowledge for Surgo’s multi-disciplinary team through the analysis of literature, policy, and technology as they relate to program areas
- Proactively identify and analyze areas of risk and advise project team on solutions and preventative measures relate to our goals and the technical area of the project
- Develop compelling stories summarizing our work for a variety of audiences and seek opportunities to disseminate knowledge, key learnings, and products developed through Surgo investments
- Draft key documents, reports, presentations, and other communications materials for a variety of purposes and audiences, summarizing developments and recommendations for program areas and external partners
Partner Relationship Management
- Represent the vision and voice of the Surgo in line with the organization’s communication and advocacy strategy
- Lead engagement with key partners and translate partner perspectives and goals to the team
- Engage in high-quality interactions with partners and organizations – including grantees, foundations, governments, and private sector entities
Undertake other duties as requested by the leadership
- At least 5-10 years of experience working in public health, ideally in both global and domestic settings across technical areas
- Demonstrated initiative to solve unstructured problems with little oversight, flexibility, high energy, and a positive attitude
- Creative problem solver and strategic thinker with a rigorous approach and passion for working on some of the world’s toughest development challenges
- Experience designing and scoping new programs, initiatives, and partnerships
- Ability to use data and new approaches to drive social impact
- Master storyteller with ability to craft compelling narratives and presentations for variety of audiences
- Excellent stakeholder management skills including proven track record of building relationships and working in a challenging multi-stakeholder environment
- Excellent project management skills including managing work plans, budgets, partners, and grants/contracts
- Results-oriented, highly organized and efficient, able to prioritize work based on minimal direction and multiple competing priorities
- Experience or familiarity with field data collection and research methods
- Creativity, broad knowledge, and out-of-the-box thinking
- Experience working in the social impact / global development landscape including with partners, donors, and governments
- Entrepreneurial mindset, self-motivating, and ability to develop independent recommendations
- US work permit (required)
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree; Master’s/Doctorate degree big plus
- ~4+ years of work experience in a field requiring both analytics and exceptional presentation skills, consulting experience strongly preferred
- Field experience in low-resource setting
- Excellent analytical (qualitative and quantitative) and communication (written, verbal and visual presentation) skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset, including ability to work independently, self-motivate, and propose and implement new initiatives
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, and problem solve in a fast-paced, limited-structure, multicultural environment
- High level of proficiency with statistical methods and ability to use data science to drive program design and implementation
- Willingness to travel if required and at short notice, even to remote places at times
Reporting: The Program Manager will report to the Director of Programs
Location: Washington DC, USA We are currently remote due to COVID-19. Our team generally operates from our DC office.
Travel: International and domestic travel (20-25%)
Our hiring philosophy-
We hire for passion and core competencies. We look for problem solvers and lateral thinkers. We love it if you have done different things with your time. If you think you are ideal for this position, write to us even if you don’t have all of the above requirements.
Do you have a deep passion for solving tough global health and social impact challenges?
Do you want to work in one of the most entrepreneurial social impact organizations?
Are you willing to roll up your sleeves and be part of a core team that grows this organization, and grow with it?
Are you a problem solver by nature? Do you live and breathe data and see patterns in it that others don’t?
Would people say you are one of the most analytic, curious and creative people they know?
If yes…we look forward to hearing from you…
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org