The Council of State Governments West (CSG West) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization serving the western state legislatures of Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, the Pacific islands of American Samoa, the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands and Guam.
Located in Sacramento, California, CSG West facilitates regional cooperation, exchange of information, and fosters the strengthening of western legislative institutions through a variety of programs and services. This includes policy forums, professional development training, international relations opportunities, research, publications and institutional linkages with other regional or national entities.
CSG West is one of four regions comprising CSG which was founded in 1933 and is our nation's only organization serving all three branches of state government. CSG's unique regional and national structure invites focused participation from policy-makers on a more intimate, regional level while also providing a national platform to exchange ideas and information. This structure also provides western lawmakers an opportunity to engage with state officials of all three branches of state government, access a myriad of national policy research, and stay abreast of national trends and developments in Washington, D.C. impacting state governments.
To learn more about CSG West, visit our website at www.csgwest.org
Reporting to and with the direction of the director of policy & international programs, the Policy Committees and Programs Coordinator contributes to the organization's policy objectives and engagement with regional policy-makers and other stakeholders. This includes coordinating and providing policy committee and program support. In addition, the position conducts other duties as assigned to support the mission of CSG West.
- Provides administrative, logistical and communications support of CSG West policy committees and programs staff.
- Prepares and delivers correspondence including: memos, facsimile and electronic transmissions, letters, and policies.
- Conducts entry-level policy research, follows up activities, and provides information to members of policy committees and programs.
- Maintains communication, conducts outreach and establishes rapport with committee staff, legislators, as well as with federal, state and local government officials and representatives of the private sector.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in the development of a range of written products, including resource guides, directories, program reports and policy analysis.
- Assists meeting planning and coordination activities and maintains communication with policy/program staff and meeting planning staff.
- Interacts with legislators and legislative staff through ongoing communications, including state visits, conference calls, video conferences and webinars.
- Monitors timelines, budgets and deliverables to ensure that responsibilities and objectives are completed in assigned committee/program areas.
- Contributes to the content development and auditing of related website content and strategizes with the director of policy & international programs on ways to use the web and other social media tools to promote policy goals.
- Helps plan and executes policy-focused meetings of high-ranking government officials, stakeholders and national experts by assisting in agenda development, confirming speakers, providing support to policy staff, and summarizing agreements reached.
- Engages new contacts in the field, including relevant regional organizations, to serve as formal or informal partners.
- Advises the director of policy & international programs and policy staff of relevant program developments and other work in the field that can be leveraged for the advancement of program goals.
- Actively participates in staff discussions and strategic planning meetings.
- Develops a knowledge base in various policy areas.
- Monitors state legislation or activities and disseminates as appropriate.
- When directed, assists on special projects and provides support of other CSG West and CSG National programs, including but not limited to, the Western Legislative Academy, CSG Policy Academies, and other forums.
- Provides excellent customer service, communications and outreach to legislators, their respective staff, CSG staff and all stakeholders.
- Prepares surveys or other instruments to gather information for evaluating program efforts and marketing options.
- Performs all other reasonably assigned responsibilities and duties to support the overall mission of the organization.
- Ability to work in and conduct activities in a nonpartisan environment.
- An understanding of state legislative institutions and the legislative process.
- Driven to provide excellent customer service.
- Strong research, writing and editing skills.
- Analytical, with an ability to think critically, distill and present complex information in a concise manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, an ability to work independently and in a team setting.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and complete multiple simultaneous projects in a detail-oriented manner.
- Possess effective computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office programs, as well as social media.
- Possesses skills in operating various office equipment such as copy machine, facsimile machine, postage machine and telephone system.
- Excellent work ethic, dependable, resourceful and willing to work non-traditional hours- usually dependent on events and enjoy a fast-pace environment.
- Ability to effectively work in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Ability to function in high pressure environments.
- Self-motivated, able to take initiative and see complex tasks through completion.
Minimum of three years of coordinating committee/program support, meeting planning, and/or legislative experience. Preference given to candidates who have experience in state legislative process.
A Bachelor of Arts degree in a related field, such as political science, public administration or public policy.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org