We are a team of 12 people, with about half based in Brussels. To support our expanding communications team we are looking for a full time Communications Officer to join us in working from our Brussels office, ideally from September 2021.
You will play an active and hands-on role in the CEO communications team which includes a press officer, an editor, and a digital engagement officer (new post). Alongside your communications colleagues you will work with our researchers and campaigners to get the maximum impact for their publications and activities.
Your main tasks will be to:
- as part of the communications team, use strategic thinking to secure coverage of our work in mainstream, specialist, and alternative media;
- design media outreach plans for new publications, and co-ordinate timing, framing, and messaging with our researchers/campaigners and outreach officer;
- use your word-smithing skills to distil the essence of complex issues into accessible, relevant press materials, including press releases, reactive media statements, and on-demand quotes;
- support making infographics and data visualisations (including with external freelancers) to promote CEO’s campaign messages to a wider audience;
- develop key social media messaging with campaigners, coordinate CEO’s decentralised social media model, and liaise with the Digital Engagement Officer on social media impact;
- engage with journalists, scheduling interviews with CEO researchers, and acting as a spokesperson on general corporate power issues when needed;
- proof-reading and editorial support to campaigners, press officer, editor.
- at least 4 years experience as a press officer, communications officer or other outreach roles (in the non-profit sector), journalist, or in a related profession; [NB experience in a highly relevant campaigning/communications role/organisation may be considered in lieu];
- a strong identification with CEO’s mission, including social and ecological justice, and an awareness of European politics;
- ability to pull out key points and identify what is – and what is not – relevant for media outreach;
- accessible and excellent writing and editing skills in English, with a good command of French/German an advantage;
- pro-active style of working, a high level of self-organisation, and the ability to manage your workload without supervision within a horizontally structured organisation;
- project management skills and ability to coordinate planning processes within the communication team as well as within the CEO team as a whole (for instance the planning of publications);
- flexibility to adapt to different tasks as needs arise and to negotiate priorities accordingly, especially when researchers have competing needs for communications capacity;
- eligibility to work in the European Union.
- Any other communications skills, for example, Photoshop, audio, visual, webinars, design, creative activism techniques.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org