CHAI is seeking a Senior Associate to oversee a primary health care improvement project in Burkina Faso. The Senior Associate will work closely with key decision makers in the Ministry of Health to develop and fund an operational plan for strengthening the primary health care system. The goal is an improved health system-with the necessary infrastructure, equipment, inputs, and human resources-that enables people to access affordable, quality care close to home and despite the country's economic and security challenges. This position offers an opportunity to work closely with a government that is committed to universal access to health care through historic and innovative reforms, and to shape a national and integrated plan for improving primary health care.
The selected candidate will be supervised by a Program Manager and will work closely with a Ministry technical working group and other CHAI colleagues and teams at the Burkina and international levels, including the Health Financing; Malaria Control; Reproductive, Maternal and Child Health; and Human Resources for Health teams. As CHAI's programs are relatively new to Burkina Faso, the Senior Associate will need to be entrepreneurial, comfortable operating in an undefined environment, and will play a key role in developing future access to care projects based on the technical support needs of the Burkinabe government.
CHAI is seeking a Senior Associate with public health experience and strong management and analytical skills to provide quality technical support to the Ministry of Health. The Senior Associate will be based in Ouagadougou and will interact with key government actors, donors, and the rest of the local and international community in Burkina Faso. He/she must therefore be fluent in French and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills with senior ministry and government stakeholders. He/she must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and have a strong commitment to excellence with a keen eye for detail.
The Senior Associate will support the government in the development and implementation of an operational plan for primary health system improvement. Specific activities will be defined in collaboration with the Ministry of Health and may include the following:
- Conducting an analysis of the bottlenecks and needs for improvement of the primary health system, through consultations with stakeholders at all levels of the health pyramid
- Conduct targeted support for the implementation and learning of high-impact interventions, such as technical assistance for the successful operation and scaling up of community health clubs
- Define an operational plan for implementation and scaling up to improve access to quality primary care
- Develop an investment case to support the government in mobilizing domestic and external funding for the primary health care system Design and conduct cost and impact analyses and other quantitative analyses that assess opportunities to improve the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of heFalth financing in Burkina Faso
- Advise the government on the implementation and scaling up of their community health strategy. Specific activities may include technical assistance in developing a monitoring and analysis mechanism for the pilot results that would compile learnings and inform scaling up; conducting a mapping of all existing and planned community-level interventions and a gap analysis; and developing a costed plan for scaling up the community health strategy.
- Develop and carry out the scope of CHAI's support to the Ministry of Health in strengthening primary health care according to government priorities and the evolving support needs of the Ministry of Health.
- Act as a key advisor to government stakeholders on primary health care strengthening issues and support the development of a long-term implementation and financing plan for primary health care system strengthening
- Identify and develop medium-term action areas to address key policy issues in Burkina Faso;
- Pursue opportunities for collaboration with other CHAI teams, helping to build a cross-cutting community of practice within the country, region, and organization and to stay abreast of key global trends and research.
- Other potential duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Master's degree with at least 5-7 years of experience in a demanding environment, ideally in public health or the health industry, including strategy consulting or complex technical project management, with increasing levels of responsibility and leadership;
- Excellent organizational and management skills, including time management and project management. An ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize and manage projects under pressure;
- Strong quantitative, presentation and writing skills, including proficiency in MS Excel, PowerPoint and Word;
- Previous experience in public health in Sub-Saharan Africa. Experience in primary and community health is preferred;
- Excellent relationship management skills, including experience in developing and managing government relations;
- Self-starter with proven experience in launching new projects or initiatives and strong analytical skills;
- Strong ability to build consensus among diverse multi-stakeholder groups and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Strong work ethic, humility, integrity;
- Strong command of French and at least an intermediate level of English.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org