OMNI is honored to be retained by Heart to Heart International in their search for a Director of Disaster Response. Heart to Heart International (HHI) seeks to improve healthcare access in the US and around the world by ensuring quality care is provided equitably in medically under-resourced communities and in disaster situations.
The Director of Disaster Response is responsible for implementation of the organization’s disaster response strategy and execution of this work; to include rapid response readiness and deployment, developing and strengthening organizational preparedness (approaches, procedures, structures), design, implement, and lead disaster response programming, and develop and grow key external partnerships.
- Develop a team culture dedicated to the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence. Lead collaborative processes and develop mechanisms to continuously improve the team’s ability to effectively respond to disasters and accomplish departmental goals.
- Develop resources, strategies, and structures to support rapid and effective responses to US and international disasters. This includes the deployment of volunteer medical teams and shipment of medicines, medical supplies and hygiene kits depending on the nature of the response. Monitor disasters and deploy appropriate resources and/or personnel.
- Engage with the Resource Development and Marketing and Communications teams to assist with fundraising efforts, i.e., provide content, participate in media events and interviews related to disaster response programming, engage in donor meetings and activities.
- Establish and foster strong working relationships with partners and stakeholders – including UN agencies, NGOs, relevant national government departments/ministries, local/regional authorities, and community leaders.
- Identify grant/funding opportunities and work with HHI team to draft concept notes, proposals and effectively manage grants per donor guidelines.
- Develop and monitor departmental, project and response specific budgets and oversee contracts, grants, and procurement to ensure compliance with HHI/donor requirements.
- Oversee the incorporation of internationally recognized standards and best practices into disaster response guidelines, policies, procedures, and programs and continuously review to ensure adherence.
- Oversee procurement of disaster response supplies and ensure compliance with technical standards. Oversee all aspects of asset and fleet management to ensure all assets and vehicles are appropriately maintained, operational and ready to support relevant response activities.
- Drive the design and continuous review of training curriculums for disaster response personnel to ensure all personnel possess the competencies necessary for their roles and responsibilities.
- Provide thought leadership on humanitarian trends, promote innovation, information sharing and early identification of opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree in International Studies, Political Science, Humanitarian Studies or related field from four-year college or university. Advance degree in relevant field preferred.
- At least eight years of US and/or international disaster response experience.
- Demonstrated project/program leadership and management experience in disaster settings.
- Understanding of international humanitarian standards and coordination systems
- Understanding of US emergency management and coordination systems is required.
- Professional proficiency in English required; proficiency in French, Spanish or Arabic preferred.
- Experience in training and capacity building required.
- Ability to deploy on short notice for duration of up to two weeks.
Location preference for this position is at HHI’s Lenexa, KS HQ office. Consideration for a hybrid work arrangement with the incumbent spending approximately 25 to 50% of time in Lenexa, KS HQ to manage the team, the partnerships and the assets associated with the role. Incumbent is required to work from Lenexa, KS HQ office during disaster response.
We appreciate your suggestions or referrals to professionals who may have an interest in this outstanding opportunity. Formal interest accepted through the OMNI Executive Career Portal. Please direct all inquiries to:
OMNI Human Resource Management
Anna Robinson, Senior Search Consultant - 913.653.8089, [email protected]
OMNI and our clients are Equal Opportunity Employers and seek diversity in candidates for employment. EEO Employer W/M/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org