We're an international bank, nimble enough to act, big enough for impact. For more than 160 years, we've worked to make a positive difference for our clients, communities, and each other. We question the status quo, love a challenge and enjoy finding new opportunities to grow and do better than before. If you're looking for a career with purpose and you want to work for a bank making a difference, we want to hear from you. You can count on us to celebrate your unique talents. And we can't wait to see the talents you can bring us.
Our purpose, to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, together with our brand promise, to be here for good are achieved by how we each live our valued behaviours. When you work with us, you'll see how we value difference and advocate inclusion. Together we:
- Do the right thing and are assertive, challenge one another, and live with integrity, while putting the client at the heart of what we do
- Never settle, continuously striving to improve and innovate, keeping things simple and learning from doing well, and not so well
- Be better together, we can be ourselves, be inclusive, see more good in others, and work collectively to build for the long term
In line with our Fair Pay Charter, we offer a competitive salary and benefits to support your mental, physical, financial and social wellbeing.
- Core bank funding for retirement savings, medical and life insurance,with flexible and voluntary benefits available in some locations
- Time-off including annual, parental/maternity (20 weeks), sabbatical (12 weeks maximum) and volunteering leave (3 days), along with with minimum global standards for annual and public holiday, which is combined to 30 days minimum
- Flexible working options based around home and office locations, with flexible working patterns
- Proactive wellbeing support through Unmind, a market-leading digital wellbeing platform, development courses for resilience and other human skills, global Employee Assistance Programme, sick leave, mental health first-aiders and all sorts of self-help toolkits
- A continuous learning culture to support your growth, with opportunities to reskill and upskill and access to physical, virtual and digital learning
- Being part of an inclusive and values driven organisation, one that embraces and celebrates our unique diversity, across our teams, business functions and geographies - everyone feels respected and can realise their full potential.
Recruitment assessments - some of our roles use assessments to help us understand how suitable you are for the role you've applied to. If you are invited to take an assessment, this is great news. It means your application has progressed to an important stage of our recruitment process.
The Role Responsibilities
- Standard Chartered is a leading international banking group, with a presence in 60 of the world’s most dynamic markets and serving clients in a further 85. Our purpose is to drive commerce and prosperity through our unique diversity, and our heritage and values expressed in our brand promise, Here for good. Standard Chartered PLC is listed on the London and Hong Kong Stock Exchanges.
- The role of Group Public & Regulatory Affairs (GPRA) is to collaborate with internal and external stakeholders, driving the alignment of the Bank’s strategy and global public policy, regulatory and supervisory objectives. The remit of the group covers policy, regulatory and supervisory issues emanating in key markets and developing engagement strategies that positions the bank in a constructive manner.
- GPRA is organised internally into four teams: 1) Policy Analysis; 2) Regulatory Affairs; 3) Regulatory Liaison; and 4) Government Affairs.
- The Director of Government Affairs, Trade Engagement sits within the Government Affairs team and is expected to work under the supervision of the Global Head of Government Affairs, collaborating with other GPRA colleagues and business partners to design and operationalise Government Affairs engagement across our global network.
The Director of Government Affairs, Trade Engagement will be responsible for designing, managing and delivering the Bank’s external engagement strategy with government officials, trade bodies and think tanks to support our major trade corridors and activities.
These activities include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring and providing early visibility of the government-to-government dialogues occurring across our major corridors.
- Designing engagement strategies for the business dialogues that occur alongside government-to-government dialogues across our major corridors.
- Monitoring trade developments across multilateral organizations (e.g. WTO, G20 / G7) and national governments in key trade corridors
- Partnering with CCIB, to understand and engage on the commercial opportunities that stem from bilateral trade agreements and regional trade agreements across Standard Chartered’s footprint.
- Promoting Standard Chartered’s expertise in digital and sustainable trade to governments, multilateral organizations and trade associations
- Maximizing engagement with other private sector companies and government officials during trade delegation visits across priority trade corridors.
The role holder will construct and operationalize an engagement plan, consistent with the broader strategy of the Government Affairs team, in partnership with the business to ensure alignment of business priorities and policy imperatives.
The ideal candidate will have a strong track record in designing, operationalising and managing engagement programmes that support in-bound and out-bound trade activity and possess a strong understanding of the political and policymaking systems in key geographies and regions. They should be fluent on trade policy issues facing a global bank and how financial services, climate finance, data and digital innovation intersects with trade engagement and policy.
Key responsibilities and capabilities:
The role holder will:
- Partner closely with GPRA and the business teams including those in trade finance, subsidiary banking, security services and geographies to support corridor activity and GPRA’s policy imperatives.
- Design and operationalise an annual, strategic and systematic trade engagement plan that has the buy-in of internal stakeholders.
- Have a successful track record of operating in a partnership style and in a complex, global and matrix organisation.
- Possess strong project management, communication and analytical capabilities.
- Be adept at operationalising engagement plans to ensure proactive and systematic engagement for our leaders and experts to influence the agenda, raise our profile and deliver insights back into the business with a focus on government officials, policymakers, regulators, trade associations; think tanks and other influencers.
- Work across GPRA and the business to project manage and deliver our engagement plan so that it focuses on the key trade policy issues and thematic areas agreed across GPRA and the business.
- Align and partner with GPRA teams to prepare speeches, briefings and other written materials including timely and succinct political and policy analysis and insights.
- Collaborate with colleagues across multiple teams, functions and regions to ensure continuous improvement of content development and delivery.
- Ensure GPRA and partners are aware of trade corridor priorities and initiatives on trade and market access and new business opportunities, as relevant and appropriate.
- Work in collaboration with GPRA partners and the business to design and operationalise an engagement strategy that delivers outcomes for GPRA’s policy imperatives and thematic topics.
- Identify internal stakeholders and partners that are critical to the design and implementation of the region’s engagement strategy and establish a systematic way for cooperation to ensure the function in the region forms a cornerstone of the wider integrated GPRA function and is recognised as trusted adviser and “go to” expert to deliver engagement in the region.
- Ensure GPRA strategies are consistent with the vision and strategy for the CFCC function and in support of the Bank’s strategic direction and growth aspirations.
- Use engagement strategy to proactively identify, disseminate and provide advice on political and regulatory changes/practices and associated risks.
- Collaborate with the other GPRA pillars, CFCC and CABM colleagues to anticipate horizon risks that may have a significant impact on the Bank.
- Set up a strong communication channel between the business and GPRA so the wider team has a timely view of trade corridor priorities, risks and opportunities.
- Fluent and active on trade policy, political and regulatory priorities across our major corridors.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Support the Group Public & Regulatory Affairs team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank’s Conduct Principles.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Live the commitments of our Here for Good brand promise, acting as a role-model for others.
- Provide robust challenge to all relevant stakeholders and escalate as necessary, until appropriate oversight and ownership is achieved including identifying action owners to initiate plans or a strategy which address any action needed.
- Build and maintain an effective and constructive relationship with all key CFCC, CABM, business and functional stakeholders that is based on trust, capability and integrity, providing timely, responsive and quality support to enable the Bank to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Work across GPRA pillars to develop simple and effective new processes where needed. For example, to work with the Products pillar to refine outputs and products which will go to external constituencies.
- Support management MI / trackers across all aspects of Government Affairs coverage and responsibility.
People and Talent
- Promote the culture and practice of compliance with compliance standards (including conducting business within regulatory requirements, and to high ethical standards) within the Bank and embed a ‘Here for Good’culture and the Group Code of Conduct.
Our Ideal Candidate
- This candidate will require strong experience and a strong track record in designing and operationalising innovative, strategic and systematic engagement activities which are measurable and aligned with the vision of GPRA.
- Essential education: University degree, preferably in Legal, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science, International Relations.
- A successful track record of designing and implementing effective communications and government affairs plans, which align with business strategy using a range of tools and channels.
- Demonstrate ability to influence and collaborate with internal stakeholders across multiple disciplines, cultures and geographies, across an organizational footprint and levels within the Bank and with external stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure, successfully planning and delivering multiple projects concurrently in a dynamic environment.
- Proven strategic planning and stakeholder engagement experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present information in a clear and compelling manner to a variety of audiences and cultures.
- Ability to recognize and leverage opportunities to increase corporate reputation. Strong judgement, excellent problem solving, organization and diplomacy skills.
- A trusted team player with a "can-do" attitude, able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances.
- They should be able to create and execute effective employee communications and engagement to motivate employees and strengthen their understanding of the bank's strategy, goals and values.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org