Innovations for Poverty Action seeks a Policy Manager to join our growing evidence-to-impact team. IPA’s policy team equips IPA and IPA’s partners to create evidence-based, sustainable impact at scale, improving millions of lives. The Policy Manager is responsible for increasing IPA’s policy impact through supporting this global policy strategy and providing technical support to country-based policy teams. He/she will the support the identification, cultivation, and management of high impact policy opportunities. These high-impact projects will include equipping partners to pursue scale-up opportunities; developing embedded evidence labs with government partners; building strategic partner relationships; and hosting/managing policy events. The Policy Manager will also develop funding opportunities to resource these projects.
The likely initial projects for this Policy Manager include developing and strengthening IPA’s regional strategy for using evidence to improve the lives of migrants in Latin America. This Policy Manager will leverage expertise in migration, regional politics, and business development to connect evidence with policymakers, funders, migrant organizations, and other decision-makers who can use this evidence to improve the lives of those affected by migration in Latin America.
Support global policy impact (50%)
- Proactively identify policy fundraising and policy-relevant business development opportunities and pursue these opportunities in collaboration with global and country office-based staff.
- Combine insights from disparate areas of research into policy lessons for decision-makers who want to apply rigorous evidence to their policies and programs.
- Write and design original blog posts, briefs, website content, and other materials communicating IPA’s policy impact and strategy to internal and external stakeholders.
- Create original materials to communicate IPA’s policy lessons to internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate grant reporting and deliverable management for a portfolio of global policy grants.
- Collaborate extensively across programmatic and functional teams at IPA to deliver on our policy strategy and share lessons across teams and contexts.
- Collaborate with policy communications team and senior management to formulate IPA’s unique policy impact strategy.
Drive IPA’s evidence-to-impact strategy in the migration sector in Latin America (50%)
- Support country & sectoral policy teams to identify, cultivate, and manage high impact policy opportunities in the field of migration.
- Provide functional expertise in policy outreach and on the global body of evidence to country & sectoral teams pursuing these high-impact projects in migration in the region.
- Identify, develop, and steward high-potential partner relationships, particularly with senior levels within government or large organizations, in the migration sector across Latin America.
- Proactively identify policy fundraising and policy-relevant research business development opportunities in the field of migration and pursue these opportunities in collaboration with country office-based staff in the region.
- Provide guidance & proactive support to country policy & management teams, especially those in LAC and for opportunities related to migration, in strategic events for policy purposes, including but not limited to summits, conferences, workshops, technical working groups, and round tables; represent IPA at these events.
- Provide other guidance to country teams to design & execute on their policy strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all organization policies and procedures.
- Master’s degree in economics, development, international relations, public administration, public policy or a closely related field strongly preferred. Will accept additional experience in place of master’s.
- 5+ years of relevant experience analyzing and communicating complex research results to various audiences, including at least 1 year of experience working closely with large NGOs or governments, preferably in a developing country context.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated interest in the use of rigorous evidence for international development policy required.
- Exceptional ability to understand academic research studies and analyze bodies of research.
- Expertise in drawing policy lessons from these and communicating them to various audiences
- Excellent communication skills, including clear, precise, non-technical written and presentation skills; requires a strong written “voice” and ability to write in various voices as needed as well as effective spoken communication and presentation style.
- Proven ability to multitask and successfully complete projects on tight deadlines with little supervision.
- Willingness to work hard, be self-motivated, learn, and adapt quickly will be essential for doing well in this position.
- Ability to supervise staff and manage projects independently.
- Strong ability to manage up and across.
- Experience with IPA and/or partner institutions strongly preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish strongly preferred.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org