Women Deliver is a leading global advocate that champions gender equality and the health and rights of girls and women. Our advocacy drives investment – political and financial – in the lives of girls and women worldwide. We harness evidence and unite diverse voices to spark commitment to gender equality. And we get results. Anchored in sexual and reproductive health, we advocate for the rights of girls and women across every aspect of their lives. We know that investing in girls and women will deliver progress for all.
Summary of the Position:
Women Deliver seeks an outstanding Director, Communications to lead the organization into an ambitious period of communication and advocacy outreach, which will include but is not limited to: communications in the lead up and at the next Women Deliver Conference (WD2023), strategic brand building, channel reach and engagement growth, increased visibility and thought leadership, and advocacy campaign creation and execution.
The Director, Communications brings exceptional leadership and strategic abilities, spokesperson experience, strong understanding of gender equality within the global development sector, and a deep sense of respect for the power of communication and advocacy to advance the health, rights and wellbeing of girls and women, in all their intersecting identities. Additionally, the Director, Communications is instrumental in executing Women Deliver’s Transformation commitment to ethical communications and best practices, from the words we use to the photos and images that convey our work.
The Director, Communications is responsible for developing, implementing, and leading Women Deliver’s strategic communication planning, brand and visibility, media work, public relations, digital assets, and social media presence, as well as building new communication contacts and programs to advance Women Deliver’s mission. The Director, Communication will report to the CEO and will manage four positions: (1) Communications Manager, Conference 2) Senior Associate, Communications; (3) Associate, Digital Associate; (4) Associate, Communications, Youth Engagement.
· Lead Women Deliver’s integrated communications strategy to convey, promote, and position the issues and Women Deliver’s mission, programmatic areas, advocacy goals and core messages.
· In close coordination with Director, Conference and the Communications Manager, Conference, develop and lead the communications strategy for the next Women Deliver Conference, WD2023, including: the lead up to the Conference throughout 2022 and 2023, during the online and in-person Conference, and managing Edelman and Markham, Women Deliver’s external media and production agencies.
· As an institutional spokesperson, lead Women Deliver’s media strategy; coordinate media outreach; maintain journalist relationships; write, pitch, and place Women Deliver’s advocacy work in key media outlets.
· Enhance Women Deliver’s digital presence and innovative communication to advance the issues and mission of the organization.
· Ensure consistent messaging and branding across communication platforms and programs.
· Promote Women Deliver’s brand; manage and produce media and communication materials, presentations, and digital outreach efforts.
· Lead and develop new communication initiatives and tools; oversee the ongoing renewal and update of the organization’s websites and social media platforms.
· Proactively identify opportunities, key external events, and priority issues for the organization’s overall communications, media and advocacy positioning for the organization, including fundraising for new initiatives, and coordinating campaigns.
· Measure and analyze use and effectiveness of communication tools and efforts, to optimize results.
· Advise the leadership on communication-related issues, including crisis communications.
· Support incoming CEO with building public profile, public speaking engagements, and other media engagement
· Play a leadership role within Women Deliver alongside the CEO and other senior focals, supporting the Transformation, org-wide strategies, staff needs, and key workplace initiatives.
· Represent Women Deliver in partnerships and at external meetings and events, including giving speeches and presentations at key conferences where relevant.
· Oversee and manage a team of four communication professionals.
· Manage vendor relationships, including writers, designers, printers, photographers, producers, videographers, illustrators, PR, and media relations.
Qualifications, Skills, and, Education, and Knowledge:
· 10-12 years in fields of communications, journalism/media, and digital media/technology.
· BA/BS required; Master’s highly preferred.
· Minimum of 3 years’ experience managing a team.
· Excellent English language writing, editing, communication, presentation skills required.
· Demonstrated experience and proven success in developing and executing communication strategies and campaigns.
· Strong understanding of communications, marketing, and dissemination systems/technologies, digital communications, and social media platforms, and tracking technologies.
· Strong understanding of necessary communications for hybrid events like WD2023.
· Solid ability to analyze campaign effectiveness and adapt campaigns to achieve goals.
· Collaborative personality with the ability to work cross functionally and articulate a point of view.
· Strong time management skills, with the ability to handle multiple priorities simultaneously.
· Strong understanding of advocacy, particularly at the global level.
· Ability to persist through challenges and finds energy in the face of obstacles.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, and adept in creating professional PowerPoint presentations.
· Ability to travel as needed after June 2022.
· Strong understanding of and connections in the field of global health and/or gender equality, a must; issue knowledge of sexual and reproductive health, a plus.
· Design, video production, and editing skills, a plus.
· Experience working in a developing country context, a plus.
· French or Spanish language skills are a plus.
· Must be able eligible to work in the United States, without sponsorship.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org