The Gender Equality Division is focused on accelerating the trajectory that many countries in sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia are already on when it comes to reaching the Sustainable Development Goals that disproportionately affect women and girls—such as ending poverty and improving health. Women and girls are not a monolith: A woman’s experience and the barriers she faces are different depending on factors like where she lives, how old she is, and how much money her family has—alongside other factors including her race, caste, and education level. For some, the primary barrier is access to basic health services or the ability to make choices about their bodies and futures. For others, it’s a lack of leadership opportunity or the ability to control and invest money as they choose.
We seek to address these compounding barriers through deep partnership with our grantees. As a philanthropy, our role is to listen to and learn from these experts. We take risks in new areas, prove concepts, and bring these ideas to governments, partner organizations, and private sector companies to scale. And we build off our existing strengths as a foundation in areas like global health and data.
This position reports to the Deputy Director, Gender Integration
*This role is a limited-term position for 6-8 months starting in October 2022 to cover for an employee who will be out on parental leave. Relocation will not be provided.
As the Program Officer (PO LTE), you will be part of a Gender Integration team which is responsible for scaling gender integration at the foundation. You will play a key role identifying, building, and maintaining relationships with multiple internal teams, and advise on strategic ways teams can address gender-related barriers and opportunities to further programmatic impact through investments, strategies, and partners. The power of this work is through enabling others at the foundation to intentionally consider gender equality through our global work and shaping our institutional systems and culture.
This role is primarily an internal-facing role with limited traditional grantmaking, but understanding the grant making process is important.
What You’ll Do
- Establish and maintain relationships with internal colleagues and partners on high impact opportunities to integrate gender into programmatic investments, strategies, and partnerships, including:
- Strengthen gender integration within donor partnerships, including multilateral funds
- Ensure sound gender technical approach in grants co-funded with foundation programmatic teams
- Participate in and facilitate relevant programmatic working groups across the foundation
- Translate high quality analysis rooted in evidence into key insights and recommendations that can be communicated optimally and persuasively with senior foundation partners
- Contribute to the identification and implementation of research and analytical work to support decision-making and facilitate organizational change
- Support the implementation of creative solutions to guide inclusive processes (e.g. crafting and facilitating matrixed conversation, handling conflict, encouraging alignment)
- Serve as a member of the Gender Equality Division and be an active participant of all GE Division activities and rhythm of business expectations
- Other duties as assigned
We are looking for a team member who enjoys working on sophisticated problems and collaboratively crafting strategies that have the potential to transform the lives of people around the world. You are an agile standout colleague who is prepared to work across a diverse set of fields and issue areas, bringing gender expertise to a wide range of issues. You are a sophisticated relationship manager, able to know when and how to support and influence partners. You have proven an ability to navigate matrixed organizations, see opportunity in ambiguity, and communicate effectively with tact.
We seek someone who is committed to advancing gender equality as well as:
- Master's degree or equivalent experience coupled with a minimum of five plus years of work experience in the development, social impact, and/or management consulting sector, with a preference for those with a gender focus
- Field based or delivery experience understanding the practical challenges of program implementation
- Ability to build new relationships and work well with a wide range of internal and external partners to reconcile multiple viewpoints and often to negotiate across stakeholders to align on appropriate decisions with and for the team
- Understand and have experience in gender mainstreaming / integration within large program teams and/or operational settings required; experience in the design and delivery of gender integration activities within multilateral funds preferred
- Knowledge of gender analysis framework coupled with a capability to communicate clearly to others how to take a gender-intentional approach to address a variety of development-sector challenges
- Knowledge of strategy development and implementation, and accountability mechanisms
- Ability to work in a self-guided manner, balance multiple priorities and to demanding timelines
- Excellent partnership building and stakeholder-management skills and judgement
- Excellent organizational, facilitation, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and with sensitivity across barriers such as language, culture and distance
- Broad understanding of and/or experience within global health and other foundation strategy areas preferred
- Commitment to the foundation's core values, mission and programs with an approach that is consistent with the foundation's guiding principles while holding oneself to the highest ethical standards
- Sense of humor
- Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship
- Up to 20% domestic and international travel
- Preferred location is Seattle, WA; Remote negotiable
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org