The Planning Budget and Evaluation (PBE) Department is in charge of PAHO’s strategic planning, budget management, and corporate performance monitoring, assessment, and evaluation. PBE coordinates the development of the Organization’s Strategic Plan (SP) and Program and Budget (PB), and implements PAHO’s evaluation policy, applying results-based management (RBM) approach in line with the Organization’s mandates, policies, and strategies. PBE’s performance monitoring and assessment measures progress toward the priorities and results in the Strategic Plan and Program and Budget. The evaluation unit in PBE also evaluates how and why results were or were not achieved and how corporate performance can be improved. PBE as the custodian of the evaluation function in PAHO implements the Corporate Evaluation Work Plan, approved by the Executive Management on the basis of organizational requirements, significance or utility. The Department is accountable to the Director and Deputy Director of PAHO, and the evaluation function collaborates with the WHO Evaluation Office and with the United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG).
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Planning and Budget (PBE), and the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Evaluation, the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Provide support for the commissioning, management and conduct of evaluations by assisting in planning, preparation of guidelines, data collection, design and management of surveys, research and data analysis, and presentation and visualization of main trends;
- Research, gather, and process information, and support preparation of evaluation terms of reference; research, systematize and analyze data and information for preparing evaluation reports for Executive Management, WHO, and PAHO Governing Bodies;
- Support the implementation of PAHO’s evaluation function, by ensuring the application of the evaluation policy, processes, quality assurance of evaluation products (TOR, inception, final reports), including review and update of guidelines and tools, collaboration with PBE team members and with other entities in promoting the use of evaluation in planning and budgeting processes;
- Assist in identifying, recruiting, onboarding and managing interns, consultants, and secondments to the evaluation function;
- Maintain and enhance a roster of evaluation consultants, firms, and partners (WHO, UNEG, PMN etc.), assist in managing and maintaining the online databases of PAHO’s evaluations (repository of evaluations, tracking expenditures, resources flows etc.);
- Promote compliance with PAHO’s evaluation policy, handbook and processes and assist with monitoring and recording implementation of recommendations from evaluations, preparing status reports for PBE and Executive Management, and tracking the management responses to evaluations and their use on the Lessons Learned SharePoint and other comparable platforms;
- Support the development and delivery of evaluation e-learning, training, capacity development and orientation, and development of activities to enhance PAHO’s evaluation culture, and the organization and coordination of (video)-conference events and meetings;
- Maintain and support the enhancement of the evaluation intranet webpage and of the evaluation platform with useful resources, as well as the enhancement of capacity-building sites, templates and guidelines, in collaboration with PAHO’s ITS and stakeholders;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in a health or social science, business administration, economics, monitoring and evaluation, international relations, or in any other field related to the functions of the post from a recognized university.
Desirable: Training and/or education in evaluation, results-based management, planning, program management or project management.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Five years of combined national and international work experience in development or humanitarian evaluation, program management, project management, monitoring and assessment, and in disciplines related to evaluations covered by international agencies.
Desirable: Experience working with a UN system organization and/or developing countries and countries in the region, are assets.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Collaborate and cooperate with others. - Works collaboratively with team members and counterparts to achieve results; encourages cooperation and builds rapport; helps others when asked; accepts joint responsibility for the teams’ successes and shortcomings. Identifies conflicts in a timely manner and addresses them as necessary; understands issues from the perspective of others; does not interpret/ attribute conflicts to cultural, geographical or gender issues.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Relate well to diversity in others and capitalize on such diversity - Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Express oneself clearly when speaking/Write effectively/Listen/Shares knowledge - Quality and quantity of communication targeted at audience. Listens attentively; does not interrupt other speakers. Adapts communication style and written content to ensure they are appropriately and accurately understood by the audience (e.g., power-point presentations, communication strategies, implementation plans). Shares information openly with colleagues, transfers knowledge, as needed.
- Producing Results: Deliver quality results/Take responsibility - Produces high-quality results and workable solutions that meet clients’ needs. Works independently to produce new results and sets own timelines effectively and efficiently. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Makes proposals for improving processes as required and takes responsibility for own work and/or actions, as necessary. Demonstrates positive attitude in working on new projects and initiatives. Demonstrates accountability for own success, as well as for errors; learns from experience.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Propose change/Adapt to change - Suggests and articulates effective and efficient proposals for change as needed when new circumstances arise. Quickly and effectively adapts own work approach in response to new demands and changing priorities. Is open to new ideas, approaches and working methods; adjusts own approach to embrace change initiatives.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of evaluation and results-based management concepts and processes and their application related to evaluation, planning, project, or program management, monitoring and assessment, preferably in health or social sectors.
- Experience in international technical cooperation with emphasis on public health planning and policies, program development and implementation, with particular emphasis on research, evaluation, monitoring, and assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct in-depth research, assess, analyze, synthesize, and provide recommendations on evaluative issues.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a complex organizational environment and re-prioritize actions on short notice when required.
- Excellent skills in modern communication, information management, and effective visualization technologies.
- Excellent analytical skills combined with strong professional oral and writing skills including for the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization.
- Excellent logistical, administrative, and organizational skills to facilitate the implementation of workplans and follow-up actions.
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated advanced ability to utilize computer and communication technology (Microsoft Office, qualitative and quantitative research (SPSS, Dedoose etc.), social media analysis, research tools for survey design, analysis, and visualization. Knowledge of other software (e.g., Power Bi) for data management. Ability to conduct big data analysis, information analyses and visualization.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org