Org. Setting and Reporting
The Office for Middle East and North Africa (OMENA), housed within the Division of Country Programmes (DCP), is in charge of the overall liaison and relationship management with partner countries in the MENA region. OMENA is responsible for coordinating ITC technical assistance projects and activities in the region, to achieve synergies and impact. The Office ensures strengthened partnership in the MENA region with international, regional, bilateral and national institutions with the aim to have substantive field interventions in critical and priority development areas.
The goal of this job function is to assist the Chief, OMENA in: (1) managing development of OMENA projects’ portfolio responding to priority needs of partner countries in the MENA region and in line with priorities of donors and development partners; (2) coordinating resources mobilization efforts at section level in line with the overall resources mobilization strategy at corporate level ; (3) overseeing implementation and monitoring of programmes/projects under OMENA’s responsibility in coordination with relevant technical sections and divisions at ITC, UN agencies based in Geneva and in the field, development partners, and other external partners as relevant.
The incumbent will establish and maintain excellent relationships with key partners, represent ITC and interface effectively with senior governmental representatives, private sector, and other UN agencies, communicate and advocate for ITC’s work in the region, develop new business opportunities, mobilize resources for projects and programmes and gather critical country intelligence on trade and private sector development.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief, Office for the Middle East and North Africa (OMENA) and the general guidance of the Director of the Division of Country Programmes, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Develops, and manages implementation and of assigned trade related technical assistance (TRTA) programmes/projects, etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project achievements and results; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties to ensure effective and efficient implementation and follow-up actions;
- Prepares state of the art country intelligence related to trade and economic development;
- Organizes consultation meetings, in collaboration with the client, by facilitating workshops, or through other interactive sessions and assists in developing action plans the client will use to manage the change with lasting positive impact;
- Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources on multilateral trade issues and overall social and economic trade in the region;
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies;
- Generates survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identify problems/issues and prepares conclusions;
- Formulates high quality project concepts and project documents for submission to development partners and partner countries;
- Provides substantive backstopping to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Initiates and coordinates outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars, etc.; makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
- Establishes key relationships with traditional and non-traditional develop partners including private sector and foundations and mobilizes funding for projects in the MENA region;
- Leads and/or participates in large, complex field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.;
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, etc.);
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and their interlinkage with economic, social and environmental issues is desirable. Knowledge of Trade and economic development issues in the MENA region . Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Knowledge of the multilateral trading system and the WTO agreements. Understanding of macro-economic issues and their impact on sustainable development is important. Understanding of critical issues faced by Micro, Small and Medium sized Enterprises (MSMEs) and possible solutions to overcome them is desirable. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of given assignments, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Judgement/decision making: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impact on others and on the Organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary;
- Empowering others: Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work. Encourages others to set challenging goals. Holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility. Genuinely values all staff members’ inputs and expertise. Shows appreciation and rewards achievements and efforts. Involves others when making decisions that affect them.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or a related field;
- A first-level university degree in the above subjects or related field in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management (including project design and development), administration or related area is required;
- Experience in resource mobilization is desirable;
- Experience working with donors and managing economic development projects is desirable;
- Experience in fund raising from non-traditional donors such as foundations and private sector is desirable.
- For the position advertised, fluency in both English and Arabic is required. Knowledge of French desirable.
Please be sure to indicate you saw this position on Globaljobs.org