Operation Smile is an international medical charity that has provided hundreds of thousands of free surgeries for children and young adults in developing countries who are born with cleft lip, cleft palate or other facial deformities. It is one of the oldest and largest volunteer-based organizations dedicated to improving the health and lives of children worldwide through access to surgical care. Since 1982, Operation Smile has developed expertise in mobilizing volunteer medical teams to conduct surgical missions in resource-poor environments while adhering to the highest standards of care and safety. Operation Smile helps to fill the gap in providing access to safe, well-timed surgeries by partnering with hospitals, governments and ministries of health, training local medical personnel, and donating much-needed supplies and equipment to surgical sites around the world. Founded and based in Virginia, U.S., Operation Smile has extended its global reach to more than 60 countries through its network of credentialed surgeons, pediatricians, doctors, nurses, and student volunteers.
All interested applicants should apply online at www.operationsmile.org/about-us/careers.
The Development Content Specialist, Global Philanthropy’s responsibility is to work within the Global Philanthropy team to increase donations for Operation Smile from a portfolio of strategic accounts, including individuals, corporations and foundations through the development of donor-focused content and materials. The candidate will also work with teams across the organization to gather information required for stewardship, reporting and continued donor cultivation.
- Develop persuasive communications and materials detailing the organization’s mission and programs to potential funders.
- Assemble and submit donor stewardship communications including letters, funding menus, mid-year and multi-year reports, quarterly updates, final reports and additional written communications as necessary.
- Work closely with teams across the organization.
- Provide writing support for Global Philanthropy team as needed in support of global corporate fundraising efforts.
- Establish and maintain relationships with OS foundation contacts and Program Officers.
- Conduct prospect research to source new funding opportunities.
- Prioritize to keep multiple projects moving in a timely manner, work independently, meet deadlines and manage supplemental material required for written pieces.
- Assist Global Philanthropy team with special projects and items as needed.
- Contribute to Global Philanthropy efforts by taking on additional duties as necessary.
Experience Required (education/work):
- 5+ years persuasive writing experience.
- A solid understanding of budgets as they relate to donor communications and proposals.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, writing, english, international relations or a related field from an accredited college or university.
- 5+ years of experience working in an environment where strong writing skills and project management are an essential part of the job.
- Experience using online databases and other sources to locate biographical, financial, and philanthropic information.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- A high level of computer literacy required, including familiarity with Raisers Edge and SalesForce.
- Be highly self-motivated, detail-oriented and able to handle multiple tasks under pressure, and meet deadlines while remaining flexible and resourceful.
- The successful candidate will be able to craft donor communications in a clear, compelling and succinct manner.
- Ability to work with a variety of departments and personalities in a dynamic and fluid environment.
- Project management skills and strong communication in a team environment.
- Experience in working in a project / goal-focused culture.
- Be self-directed and capable of working and problem solving with minimal supervision.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*