The Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA) seeks an entry-level administrative staff person to work on the Drug Policy and the Andes program. The Program Assistant (PA) provides administrative support to senior staff within a fast-paced human rights organization working in Washington and in Latin America. Qualified candidates will demonstrate initiative, problem-solving skills, and the ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish. The PA position brings a committed individual into contact with the human rights, drug policy, religious, and foreign policy communities in Washington, Latin America, and Europe.
WOLA is an organization in which everyone is self-motivated, goal-oriented, and passionate about our work. We are committed to what we do. Our leadership works hard to support us with a culture of innovation, collaboration, and excellence. WOLA has twice been recognized by Washingtonian Magazine as one of D.C.’s “Best Places to Work” and by The Washington Post as one of D.C.’s best-managed nonprofits.
WOLA’s office has a full-time staff of approximately 27, plus seven interns and seven fellows.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Coordinate travel, meetings, and scheduling for program staff and delegations to/from the region.
· Coordinate and organize public events and conferences.
· Monitor developments in drug policy at the national, regional, and international levels.
· Assist in the coordination and carrying out of the activities of the working group on women, drug policy, and incarceration in Latin America.
· Monitor local and national developments in Venezuela, including on human rights, the political situation, the humanitarian crisis, rule of law, public security, and the situation of migrants and refugees.
· Copy-edit, format, and occasionally draft documents in both Spanish and English.
· Help to generate and circulate multimedia items, including infographics, photo-essays, and videos.
· Assist in the program's online presence by generating social media content; keep program web page updated and assist in posting pieces to the WOLA Venezuelan Politics and Human Rights blog.
· Assist with the production and distribution of reports, memos, and other materials.
· Develop press materials and conduct press outreach in coordination with the Communications team.
· Support fundraising efforts, including providing materials and narratives for grant applications and reports.
· Manage an intern in coordination with the Intern Coordinator, Director, Assistant Director, and Senior Fellow.
· Other duties, including research, writing, and direct advocacy will be assigned depending on the program’s needs and Assistant’s abilities.
· A demonstrated commitment to human rights, democracy, and social justice in Latin America.
· Experience with drug policy and the Andean region strongly desired.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· English fluency and proficiency in Spanish is required.
· Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills, both in English and Spanish.
· Excellent organizational and administrative skills, follow-through, and attention to detail. Event planning and research skills ideal.
· Experience working or living in Latin America strongly preferred.
· Human rights, political advocacy, and/or Capitol Hill experience highly desired.
· Computer maintenance and IT trouble-shooting skills for Mac and PC a plus.
· Experience with Adobe suite programs, as well as Premiere or other video editing programs, is a plus.
· High level of initiative as well as the ability to work in a team and with international coalitions.
· Flexibility; ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic office environment with frequent international visitors.
· Knowledge of desktop publishing, database management, and website maintenance a plus.
· Additional job requirements: overseas travel required; full-time position; some long hours and weekend work required.
SALARY: $47,500, full health, dental, vision, and life insurance 100% paid by employer; three weeks annual vacation.
APPLICATIONS DUE BY: April 16, 2018.
START DATE: June 11, 2018
Please submit, in English, the following items in one PDF document: cover letter, resume, and a list of two references with daytime telephone numbers and email addresses.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org