Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Inspection and Evaluation Division (IED) of the Office of Internal Oversight Services (OIOS) in New York. The incumbent reports to the Chief of Section 3 and the Director of OIOS-IED. The Evaluation Officer will serve as the project leader of one or more OIOS-IED inspections or evaluations per year. She/He will have overall responsibility for the successful completion of the individual project and will take the lead for the successful management of her/his evaluation team. In addition, the Evaluation Officer will contribute to key Division- and Department-wide initiatives to improve OIOS and IED relevance, effectiveness and efficiency, as well as the work of OIOS-IED to strengthen the self-evaluation function within the United Nations Secretariat. She/He will also contribute, on a periodic basis, to Division-wide learning fora.
This position is available for 11 months with the possibility of extension, pending the return of the incumbent of the post from secondment with another organization.
Within delegated authority, the Evaluation Officer, Inspection and Evaluation Division, will be responsible for the following duties within her/his OIOS-IED section:
- Scope, plan, develop and lead inspection or evaluation assignments of the United Nations Secretariat's funds and programme activities, including programme evaluations (i.e., in-depth evaluations of individual programmes, departments or other organizational units) and thematic evaluations (i.e., evaluations of topics that cut across multiple programmes, departments or other organizational units), and carry out all the tasks involved in the assignments, which may include provision of guidance to external consultants and other evaluation staff;
- Review relevant documents and reports;
- Develop data-collection instruments for all relevant data-collection modalities used in the inspection or evaluation (e.g., surveys, interview and focus group guides, desk review tools, direct observation forms, and so on);
- Articulate a data analysis plan for the evaluation and for individual data-collection modalities;
- Conduct data collection and analysis, and draft final reports;
- Identify problems and issues to be addressed and recommend corrective actions and recommendations;
- Research and analyse information gathered from diverse data sources and formulate convincing and well-substantiated conclusions and recommendations
- Liaise with relevant parties throughout the inspection or evaluation process;
- Draft various documents, including draft and final reports, as well as background papers, analyses, guidelines, conference room papers, and other documents as needed;
- Exercise overall quality assurance over individual team member’s contributions to the inspection evaluation, e.g., by, overseeing adherence to the United Nations Evaluation Group (UNEG) norms and standards and the use of OIOS-IED's Inspection and Evaluation Manual and quality assurance forms, and reviewing their work before wider sharing beyond the evaluation team;
- Monitor and report on programme management's implementation of evaluation recommendations;
- Advise on policy development based on evaluation findings concerning programme relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, and impact of the United Nations Secretariat's funds and programme activities;
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and partners in the Secretariat, funds and programmes.
- Knowledge of international standards and practices in evaluation and respective evaluation methodologies;
- Ability to propose and formulate a strategic approach to evaluations within the overall framework of the relevant international instruments; readiness to take action on resolutions and decisions of intergovernmental bodies;
- Knowledge in preparing, managing, and conducting impact evaluations;
- Knowledge of technical cooperation and development assistance;
- Knowledge of data collection, including conducting interviews, running focus groups, and conducting surveys;
- Knowledge of the use of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the Internet, intranet and other databases;
- Ability to ensure an effective work structure to maximize productivity and achieve the goals of the section;
- Demonstrates good judgment and initiative, creativity and resourcefulness, diplomacy and tact; ability to ensure an effective work structure to maximize productivity and achieve the goals of the section. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING & ORGANIZING
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks "outside the box"; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in social sciences, public administration, programme evaluation, or a related field, preferably with emphasis in international affairs and/or development. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience in design, monitoring, and evaluation of projects/programmes or related area is required. Experience in data collection, including conducting interviews, running focus groups, and conducting surveys is required. Experience in the use of qualitative and quantitative data analysis and research methods is required. Experience in drafting evaluation reports in English, including formulating findings and recommendations, is required. Proficiency in spreadsheets and statistical applications is desirable. Experience in leading and managing inspection and evaluation teams is desirable. Experience in preparing, managing and conducting impact evaluations is desirable. Experience in the use of various research methodologies and sources, including electronic sources on the Internet, intranet and other databases, is desirable. Experience in survey methodology is desirable. Experience in conducting evaluations within an international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org