The primary objective of the Department of Health Systems and Services is to strengthen health systems based on Primary Health Care, supporting universal health coverage. Its work encompasses the following areas: strengthening of health systems governance for social protection in health; strengthening of regulatory frameworks and financial protection for progressive realization of the right to health; organizing people-centered, integrated health service delivery; promoting access to and rational use of quality, safe, and effective health technologies; strengthening national health research systems, and promoting the integration of scientific knowledge into health care, health policies, and technical cooperation; and developing human resources for health
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Health Systems and Services (HSS), and the direct supervision of the Senior Advisor, Strategic Fund Management and Operations (HSS/SF), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
a) Support daily operations of the PAHO Strategic Fund (SF), with a special focus on activities in South America and the Caribbean, to ensure timely delivery of medicines and public health supplies to Member States;
b) Support the development of strategies and a business plan for growth and scale up of the Strategic Fund to increase uptake by Member States, with a special focus on single and limited source medicines and other health technologies, taking into consideration market dynamics, national laws and regulatory frameworks;
c) Expand and develop new interactions between the Strategic Fund with bilateral and multilateral agencies, non-governmental organizations, sub-regional integration mechanisms, Member States and other partners to advance the interests and objectives of the Strategic Fund, particularly with regard to promoting the supply of single/limited source products in priority health programs;
d) Support the development of targeted strategies that promote uptake and use of single/limited source medicines and health technologies, in coordination with PAHO technical programs and Member States, through the PAHO SF;
e) Identify opportunities for mobilization of new resources and the creation of new partnerships in order to increase the capacity of the PAHO Strategic Fund to promote and facilitate access to high cost single / limited source; support the development and implementation of a communication strategy;
f) Support the preparation of procurement plans with the participation of other PAHO technical programs, with special focus on high cost single and limited source medicines and other health technologies, in South America and the Caribbean, through the SF;
g) Develop market analyses (e.g. potential suppliers, product pipeline, global demand trends and procurement approaches) for relevant single and limited source medicines and other health technologies procured through the SF;
h) Contribute to the improvement of processes and practices within technical and administrative entities in Headquarters and Country Offices to improve efficiencies and improve service to Member States; support the SF team, its management and coordination processes, as required;
i) Provide technical support for the continuous assessment and evaluation of the impact of the Strategic Fund, results achieved and processes developed;
j) Participate in the preparation of the Program’s Biennial Work Plan (BWP), budget and technical evaluation reports;
k) Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A university degree in a health science, public health, international relations or a related field from a recognized institution.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org/search/default.asp and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Seven years of combined national and international experience working in organizations or institutions in policy development, regulation, planning, organization management and/or evaluation of strategies and mechanisms that promote access to medicines and other health technologies.
- Intrainstitutional Action: Operates in a fair, consistent and equitable manner, and displays such behavior by example. Ensures that the mission and the values of the Organization as well as the setting in which projects will be carried out are the drivers in one's technical work. Understands the results required and performs to that standard. Behaves consistently in accordance with the Code of Ethics of the Organization.
- Analysis, synthesis, and forecasting: Takes or organizes individual and collective action after analyzing situations on the basis of the available evidence and knowledge. Continuously analyzes the evolution of situations in an area of work and makes suggestions to adjust or confirm the decisions necessary to implement required actions. Is capable of anticipating the implications of an analyzed situation between six months to one year ahead.
- Teamwork: Promotes team work and leads one's area to finish tasks and accept responsibility. Creates a positive environment within the area of work. Makes everyone feel like they are part of the team as well as welcomes and appreciates everyone's ideas and suggestions. Able to see the positive aspects of working as a team, shares the team's enthusiasm for achieving mutual goals.
- Accountability: Identifies, in conjunction with management, specific activities, processes jobs that require defined accountability, linking them to accountability strategies and objectives. Revises periodically progress made in the established work plan with his/her supervisor. Constantly reaches their objectives.
- Thinking, planning and the strategic management of technical cooperation interventions: Selects priority ideas for executing the interventions after anticipating their potential problems and solutions. Participates in the preparation of strategic plans, providing input about their impact, quality, critical points, and risks.
- Knowledge management: Shares knowledge and information appropriately and participates in activities to facilitate sharing. Develops tools and protocols for creation, integration and dissemination of knowledge. Researches opportunities, methods and approaches for delivering value through improved knowledge.
- Resource mobilization: Establishes partnerships and alliances with a variety of institutions and organizations as well as internal partnerships to obtain financial and non-financial resources. Is able to relate with all types of people and at all levels in order to obtain resources that are needed. Is able to present and disseminate information in a clear manner. Executes resources according to the agreements previously established with partnerships.
- Theoretical knowledge and technical expertise in all aspects related to access and regulation of high cost single or limited source medicines and other health technologies.
- Ability to identify priorities and develop strategies and activities to bring together all stakeholders to promote access to high cost single or limited source medicines and other health technologies.
- Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical, conceptual, interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to identify, assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendations on key political, technical and administrative issues.
- Ability to coordinate, establish and maintain identifiable results-oriented productive relationships with key actors within, monitoring activities, ensuring product delivery and reporting.
- Ability to formulate technical cooperation interventions and develop criteria for evaluating program interventions.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio and Project would be an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org