World Learning seeks a Senior Program Associate support the implementation of the International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP), a program funded by the U.S. Department of State. This position provides an opportunity to engage with U.S. and international leaders in a range of fields, learn about key U.S. foreign policy issues, and help forge international partnerships. The position is part of World Learning’s Global Exchange Unit, which implements a diverse professional exchange portfolio.
The Senior Program Associate works with a Program Officer to make programmatic and logistical arrangements for foreign professionals visiting the United States as participants in the U.S. Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program. In addition, the position entails more advanced leadership in the team, assistance with team administration (especially with large and/or complex projects), and an assumption of a leadership role among peers within the IVLP team and the Global Exchange unit.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills in the Program Associate role and a proven ability to manage multiple tasks, work both independently and collaboratively, and communicate clearly and effectively with diverse partners and stakeholders. An interest in working with people from other cultures and backgrounds and a positive, proactive attitude are essential.
The position is funded through December 31, 2020, and is expected to be extended pending satisfactory performance and the availability of funding. Only candidates receiving interviews will be contacted.
Senior Program Associate-specific responsibilities include:
- Working with Manager of the IVLP team and Senior Program Officers on special assignments related to
administration of the IVLP team;
- Advising the Manager and SPOs on IVLP team administration, including recommendations for troubleshooting
and systems improvement;
- Assisting with hiring and training of Program Associates;
- Representing World Learning in relations with external stakeholders and initiatives as assigned;
- Actively participating in and leading activities to support team-wide goals;
- Supporting the coordination and development of the Program Associate team;
- Contributing to the successful implementation of exchange programs in support of U.S. foreign policy
- Arranging program logistics (air and ground travel/hotels/meeting space);
- Creating and managing financial documents and processes, including invoices, expense reports, and
- Conducting project briefings with participants on program arrangements;
- Assisting in the development of program itineraries and arranging professional appointments for
- Supporting the preparation of briefing books and program materials for participants;
- Accompanying participants, as required, to appointments;
- Conducting research to support the preparation of programs;
- Supervising interns and supporting their professional development;
- Implementing strategies for social media use in international exchange programs;
- Handling other needs as they arise.
As members of World Learning's staff, program associates also will have access to various professional development opportunities, including skill-building workshops, shadowing sessions with internal and external entities, and brownbag lunches on various topics relevant to international education and exchange.
We seek candidates with excellent attention to detail, who thrive in collaborative settings, and who are committed
to international exchange. You should have:
- eligibility to work in the U.S.;
- Bachelor's degree and at least 2 years of work experience, including 1 year of IVLP experience (strongly
- Demonstrated mastery of the responsibilities of a Program Associate;
- Demonstrated leadership and initiative in key areas such as special projects, training and mentoring new
staff, or staff development opportunities;
- Demonstrated commitment to maintaining excellence and meeting goals;
- Demonstrated accuracy; organizational ability; and attention to detail, including in written work and
- Effective supervision of intern(s);
- Proven strong cross-cultural and communications skills in English, including public speaking and
- A record of cultivating and maintaining strong working relationships with and among diverse stakeholders;
- An ability to recognize and analyze problems and recommend appropriate solutions;
- Experience managing multiple tasks concurrently and successfully, particularly under strict deadlines.
- Ability to foster diverse, equitable and inclusive practices and challenges practices which may be
- Ability to effectively cope with change; able to shift comfortably; decide and act without having the total
picture; comfortably handle risk and uncertainty. Demonstrate the ability to function in unstructured work
environments and/or uncertain conditions.
- A curiosity about World Learning as a whole, with the aim of being able to effectively represent the
organization to external audiences, commensurate with the position.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org