Org. Setting and Reporting
This post is located in the Support Unit of the Committee established pursuant to UN Security Council resolution (UNSCR) 1540 (2004) in the Office for Disarmament Affairs in New York. The Political Affairs Officer reports to the Senior Political Affairs Officer in charge of the Support Unit.
Within delegated authority, the Political Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Gathers, selects and analyses information contained in communications and publications received from different sources, including the press.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of events relating to political issues, in general, and in particular as they affect the countries and thematic mandates for which the staff member is responsible.
- Keeps abreast of latest trends and developments in the area of assignment and provides inputs on issues to senior officials and colleagues in missions and elsewhere in the Secretariat.
- Monitors national and regional level political developments in the area of assignment.
- Maintains contacts with other sectors of the UN, other international organizations and governments on coordination and policy matters.
- Monitors actions taken by intergovernmental groups, UN organisations, government and non-governmental organizations.
- Participates in provision of secretariat services to Security Council, subsidiary organizations, conferences, and meetings.
- Prepares meetings of the Under-Secretary-General with officials from countries under the Organization's purview.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to identify and analyze political, ethnic, racial, social and economic problems that cause civil unrest in a country or geographic area. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in political science, international relations, international economics, law, public administration or other related. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in political science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area, is required.
- Conference management and organizational skills related to arranging workshops and seminars in various geographic regions, is desirable.
- Fluency in one of the working languages of the UN Secretariat, English or French, (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the other is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org