Reporting to the Head of Programme, the Programme Specialist exercises overall responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing UN Women interventions under their portfolio. The Programme Specialist works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ and RO staff, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and management of the Gender responsive Governance programme
- Finalize the annual workplan, budget, procurement plan and manage their implementation;
- Provide programme advisory support to the Office Management within the thematic area assigned;
- Manage the technical implementation of the programme/project; provide technical advice; ensure synergies with other teams;
- Review the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports as required;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators;
- Convene periodic Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings.
Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Provide technical advice to partners; oversee the provision of technical guidance by the team;
- Build, manage, and expand relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the Gender responsive Governance programme; respond to any potential challenges;
- Serve as an expert resource to partners on Gender responsive Governance;
- Provide technical advice to MCO teams on Gender responsive Governance and ensure synergies with other teamleads (teams);
- Implement and oversee capacity building opportunities and initiatives;
- Facilitate provision of advanced technical assistance, training, and capacity development initiatives to partners and MCO teams.
Manage the monitoring and reporting of the programme/project
- Manage the process of monitoring the programme/project implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
- Finalize quarterly reports and donor reports, focusing on results, output and outcomes;
- Finalize office donor and UN Women reports.
Manage the people and financial resources of the Gender responsive Governance programme
- Manage the programme budget and finalize financial reports;
- Manage the Programme Coordinator and Technical Specialists; mentor and coach staff and conduct performance assessments;
- Oversee recruitment processes, as necessary.
Provide programme development advisory services and develop programmes in the area of Gender responsive Governance
- Oversee and manage the design and formulation of programme proposals and initiatives; Identify programmatic areas for support and interventions within the thematic areas;
- Finalize country strategy documents, programme/project proposals, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to Gender responsive Governance;
- Organize periodic consultations with key stakeholders, women leaders, human rights experts and UN partners to gather inputs on programme design, as necessary.
Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and develop potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, finalize substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing.
Manage inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for Gender responsive Governance in Myanmar
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Head of Programme on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts;
- Take part in country level Common Country Assessment (CCA)/United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF) processes and similar exercises related to the RC system;
- Prepare substantive inputs to CCA/UNDAF and other documents, as necessary.
Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Represent UN Women in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to Governance and Gender;
- Manage advocacy strategies and their implementation;
- Identify best practices and lessons learned to guide programme improvement and strategy planning;
- Lead the development of knowledge management strategies and methodologies and products on Gender responsive Governance.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Excellent programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills;
- Ability to develop detailed operational plans, budgets, and deliver on them;
- Excellent knowledge of Results Based Management;
- Ability to synthesize program performance data and produce analytical reports to inform management and strategic decision-making;
- Excellent knowledge in Gender and in Governance;
- Ability to lead formulation of strategies and their implementation;
- Strong networking skills;
- Ability to negotiate and interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising;
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Myanmar context is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women's studies, international development, or a related field is required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Technical experience in Gender and Governance;
- Experience coordinating and liaising with government agencies and/or donors is an asset;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading/managing a team is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org