The Department of History and Political Science at Manchester University invites applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor in Political Science, reporting through the department chair to the Dean of Arts and Sciences and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The faculty member will provide instruction for undergraduate courses in political science and for the liberal arts curriculum. The faculty member will have specialization in one or more of the following areas: racial and ethnic politics, international relations, comparative politics, political economy, environmental policy and law, human rights, political communication, and disability studies.
We especially seek a faculty member who can grow an interdisciplinary program in a combined department that provides students with broad preparation in the discipline.
Essential Job Functions:
- Teaching generally twenty-four semester hours per academic year (may include other functions in addition to teaching, such as administrative responsibilities or clinical assignments
- Maintain professional effectiveness, which includes but is not limited to high quality of scholarship, intellectual integrity, professional currency, cooperation of all phases of the academic program, openness to learn about and adopt improved methods of teaching, and above all, a vital interest in student learning
- Meeting assigned classes at the scheduled locations and for the scheduled durations
- Directing and attending non-class activities, as appropriate
- Participating in faculty governance, including attending meetings – full faculty, division, department and committee – and fulfilling attendant responsibilities
- Developing course syllabi
- Administering examinations and assessing student learning
- Working in a professional, collegial and team-oriented manner with the College community
- Maintaining compliance with policies and procedures in the Faculty Manual
Secondary Job Functions:
- Supporting students’ personal and professional development
- Designing new courses, as appropriate
- Actively participating in student recruitment
- Academic advising
- Maintaining office hours, as appropriate
- ABD or PhD in Political Science
- Knowledge and experience sufficient to effectively teach courses as assigned in Political Science and related areas
- Effective presentation skills
- Effective organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to deliver course content and to assist students in understanding course content
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with students, faculty, staff and administrators
- Ability to adapt to changing teaching and learning environments and content-delivery methods
- Ability to work cooperatively with colleagues, in the best interests of the students
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, meet deadlines, and respond to students’ legitimate needs in a timely manner
- Ability and willingness to work with students of all skill levels and academic backgrounds
- Ability and willingness to perform clerical work for oneself, as necessary
- Basic leadership, budgetary and supervisory skills
- Proficient in spoken and written English
- Basic computer proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, email and internet use.
- Basic proficiency in using LMS and classroom technology
Work Schedule: Onsite classes are generally scheduled between 8 AM and 5 PM. Some classes, laboratories, events and/or meetings may be scheduled in the evening or on weekends.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org