The Freedom Initiative is seeking a qualified applicant for the position of Advocacy Officer to assist in developing and implementing advocacy strategies that relate to US foreign policy in the Middle East broadly, as well as to political prisoners in particular.
Serving as a key advocacy strategist, the Advocacy Officer will ensure the highest standards of quality and efficacy for Fi’s advocacy efforts. The position reports to the Advocacy Director and will be based in Washington DC.
· Contribute to and execute broad vision for Fi’s advocacy priorities on human rights and political prisoners in the Middle East, focused on Egypt and Saudi Arabia
· Supplement advocacy efforts and build strong relationships with actors in the Executive Branch (including the National Security Council, Dept. of State, Dept. of Defense, Dept. of Treasury, and Dept. of Justice), as well as the House and Senate, with a focus on Republican offices
· Schedule individual/group meetings, events, briefings or hearings with appropriate government agencies as needed
· Respond to and/or anticipate relevant news events and policy debates by inserting Fi’s voice and original research
· Help coordinate, monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of Fi’s advocacy efforts
· Cultivate relationships with human rights organizations, think tanks, academic institutions, and other key actors on collaborative advocacy efforts
· Represent the organization in public events (i.e. panels, forums, roundtables, discussions, dinners, or press conferences)
· Assist in planning and executing the annual Advocacy Day on the Hill
· Carry out other duties as required.
· A graduate degree in international relations, law, social sciences, or commensurate experience is strongly desired
· Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience as well as substantial knowledge of the executive and legislative branches of the US government, and direct experience engaging with or working for the US government are required
· Familiarity with the Middle East, U.S. policy history toward the region, and regional languages and cultures is strongly preferred
· Strong project management skills with a “problem solving” orientation
· Excellent interpersonal, coordination, and communication skills
· Ability to handle multiple detail-oriented tasks and prioritize effectively
· Ability to work in a diverse team environment, across different time zones
· Ability to take initiative to manage multiple, detail-oriented tasks with limited supervision
Travel: Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 15% for this position.
Additional Information: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. The employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities listed above are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the candidate will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities.
Please submit a cover letter, resume & desired salary to [email protected]
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org