Under general direction, responsible for assisting in managing and coordinating complex projects and programs to promote San Antonio's role in global relationships, international trade and attract foreign investments and export business. Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in planning, coordinating, and monitoring detailed events for foreign dignitaries and business representatives visiting the City.
- Supervises, selects, evaluates and trains staff.
- Assists in protocol event management functions within the organization in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Provides seamless interface and hosting assistance for official delegations to San Antonio and from San Antonio to other countries.
- Prepares written correspondence, speaking points, and presentations
for City officials.
- Coordinates Sister City programs, maintains clear and concise communication with sister city counterparts in other countries, and constantly tracks ongoing programs.
- Coordinates official foreign travel, itineraries, speeches, and meetings for City officials traveling outside the United States.
- Prepares grant applications to secure project funds.
- Develops foreign relations by conducting outreach with national and international entities and other local ethnic organizations. Updates and maintains database on international contact lists.
- Coordinates official events and may counsel trade specialists on catering and event planning for trade delegations.
- Provides written updates for departmental website, including sister city accomplishments and event notices.
- Works with educational, cultural and civic communities to advance San Antonio's international profile by building upon its location, strengths and unique multi-cultural qualities. Promotes sister city programs throughout San Antonio School Districts via City Council Districts for eligibility.
- Conducts walking and driving tours of the city, which includes driving delegation attendees in passenger vans as necessary.
- May need to travels to foreign locations by air.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Three (3) years of experience in Protocol, including two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Valid Class 'C' Texas Driver's License.
- Master's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Mastery of a key foreign language.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of International Relations, Business Management and Trade.
- Knowledge of Marketing and Public Relations techniques.
- Knowledge of Protocol procedures.
- Knowledge of analytical methods, procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of project and event planning.
- Ability to compose and deliver presentations and speeches in English and a key foreign language.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to present in front of large and small groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff, the general public and foreign officials.
- Ability to be available on a 24-hour basis.
- Ability to drive a passenger van.
- Ability to travel to foreign locations by air.
- Ability to speak and write fluently in a key foreign language.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to perform all the physical requirements of the position, with or without accommodations.
- Working conditions are inside and outside including touring the City
by vehicle or by foot and may require travel to foreign locations by air.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org