Within delegated authority, the Deputy Director will be responsible for the following duties:
- Leads, supervises, and carries out the implementation of the work programme of the UNCCT Centre of Excellence (CoE) unit, ensuring efficient programme and project management in support of the UN Global Counter-Terrorism Strategy.
- Formulates, implements and manages the substantive work programme of the CoE, determining priorities and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Co-ordinates and oversees the preparation of terrorism-related research and analysis products for both internal United Nations use and for publication.
- Advises UNCCT and UNOCT leadership on global terrorism trends and challenges.
- Ensures that the outputs produced by the CoE maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data.
- Guides the co-ordination of the work carried out by the CoE staff .
- Ensures that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinated work in the different areas both within UNCCT, UNOCT and with other organizations of the United Nations System, as appropriate.
- Ensures effective programme and project management, through overseeing the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of CoE Programmes of Work and projects.
- Leads and supervises the organization of meetings, seminars, etc., on substantive issues.
- Manages the substantive preparation and organization of such meetings or seminars.
- Leads, coordinates and oversees international counter-terrorism conferences
- Holds programmatic/substantive discussions with representatives of other institutions; represents the Director and UNCCT, as required.
- Maintains close liaison and coordination with international, regional, and national counter-terrorism centres of excellence and/or research centres; fosters cooperation and consultation with governments, UN Global Compact entities and other partners.
- Reports to intergovernmental bodies on budget/programme performance or on programmatic/ substantive issues, as appropriate.
- Oversees the administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the CoE, including preparation of budgets, inputs for results-based budgeting, reporting on budget/programme performance, evaluation of staff performance, recruitment and staff selection taking due account of gender and geographic balance.
- Supports the Director in strategizing UNCCT’s fund-raising efforts.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the unit and across organizational boundaries.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of UN, regional and national counter-terrorism policies and mechanisms; demonstrated ability to perform and oversee the analysis of complex human resources, financial or administrative management policy issues; ability to lead interagency processes; demonstrated political awareness and sensitivity; ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with a wide range of senior-level counterparts; ability to demonstrate negotiating skills and to influence others to reach agreement and produce consensus; ability to facilitate high-level meetings. Ability to produce reports and papers on technical issues and to review/edit the work of others. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter; conscientious in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources to completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Empowering Others: Delegates responsibility, clarifies expectations and gives staff autonomy in important areas of their work; encourages others to set challenging goals; holds others accountable for achieving results related to their area of responsibility; genuinely values all staff members' input and expertise; shows appreciation and rewards achievement and effort; involves others when making decisions that affect them.
- Judgement/Decision Making: Identifies key issues in complex situations and gets to the heart of a problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impact of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others an on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; checks assumptions against facts; determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying need for the decision; makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law, social sciences or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in international relations, political affairs, diplomacy, conflict resolution or related area is required. Five years of experience at the international level is required.
- Experience at the international level is required.
- Experience in peacekeeping in the field or other field operations in post-conflict situations is desirable.
- Experience in leading and managing a large work unit in an international organization is desirable.
- Experience in planning multicomponent workshops is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org