Org. Setting and Reporting
This vacancy is located in the Political Affairs Division (PAD) of the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA). The Political Affairs Officer will be based in Bria and reports to Senior Political Affairs Officer and Head of Office.
Within delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Senior Political Affairs Officer, the Political Affairs Officer P-3 will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates fully in assigned operational activities related to the work of the office or mission, i.e., peacekeeping, disarmament, demobilization and reintegration, conflict prevention and resolution, post-conflict rehabilitation, election administration, political and governance institution-building, civil society support work, etc.; supports an integrated approach that includes a rights-based dimension, conflict prevention sensitivity, and a gender perspective into the policy, planning and operational activities of the unit.
- Prepares briefing notes and talking points for the Senior Political Affairs Officer, Head of the Mission and other senior staff. As requested, provides guidance and advice on assigned issues to the head of mission, as well as other selected offices of intergovernmental bodies concerning assigned areas of work, status of negotiations, and the approach to various issues including interpretation of the rules of procedure. Prepares responses to comments, statements, and queries of parties and manages operations involving several components of a limited nature, such as civilian, military or humanitarian operations. Develops and maintains relations with government officials at the working levels and advises them on issues and policies of mutual concern.
- Promptly raises issues and concerns to the Director of the Political Affairs Division, provides analysis on possible causes and offers recommendations on the way forward. Drafts meetings and analysis notes, options papers, talking points, and code cables.
- Assists with planning, implementing, monitoring and reporting on programmatic and outreach projects in support of the work of the Division.
- Drafts programmatic funding project proposals in support to Mandate implementation. Facilitates project implementation either directly or through implementing partners, throughout the project implementation cycle.
- Participates as a team member on a team which could deal with a variety of political issues in a region and or country or major conflict. Attends meetings to identify the scope of the project, considers methodologies, and participate in developing guidelines, terms of reference and operational plans and time frames for new team. Assists in planning, coordinating and supporting programmes, projects and activities requiring mission and/or interagency involvement and participation. Represents the team at round tables, seminars and conferences.
- Supports his/her supervisor in the formulation of the programme of work, budget and medium-term plans of the unit by participating in meetings, and compiling or researching issues related to the mission.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Professionalism: Ability to identify and analyze political, ethnic, racial, social and economic problems that cause civil unrest in a country or geographic area. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Political Science, Management or Development, or a related field is required. A first level university degree with a combination of two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five (5) years with a master's degree or seven (7) years with a bachelor's degree of progressively responsible experience in political Science, international relations, law, disarmament, security, development management, conflict resolution or related area is required.
- Prior experience in Political Affairs in a Peacekeeping mission is desirable.
- Experience in a Field Office is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French is required.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org