WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Are you a Development Partnerships Professional interested in further developing your professional experience while contributing to ending global hunger? Are you passionate about helping those in need? Would you like to join a global organization investing in its people?
If so, an exciting & fulfilling career awaits you! Join our diverse and passionate team that works on varied and international projects directly contributing to saving & changing millions of lives around the globe.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The deadline to apply for this position is Sunday, 04 December 2022 (11:59 PM)
WHO WE ARE
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP), a highly prestigious, reputable & world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
At WFP, people are at the heart of everything we do and the vision of the future WFP workforce is one of diverse, committed, skilled, and high performing teams, selected on merit, operating in a healthy and inclusive work environment, living WFP's values (Integrity, Collaboration, Commitment, Humanity, and Inclusion) and working with partners to save and change the lives of those WFP serves.
To learn more about WFP, visit our website UN World Food Programme (WFP) and follow us on social media to keep up with our latest news: YouTube, LinkedIn, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
THE ROLE AND THE ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
WFP’s expansion of the strategic engagement with National Government and International Financial Institutions (IFI) is part of a broader corporate effort to diversify partnerships and sources of funding, particularly around the Changing Lives agenda. This corporate effort has resulted in a record number and value of agreements with national governments and IFIs. To ensure effective and coherent support for Country Offices seeking to engage in the tripartite process with national governments and IFIs, the Strategic Partnerships Officer will work with STR IFI focal points to ensure that hands-on field support is available to Country Offices that require it.
The Strategic Partnerships Officer provides a unique bridge between programme design and partnership development. Supporting Country Offices, the incumbent will provide support in navigating engagement with government and IFI counterparts. The Officer will adapt and leverage lessons learned in a variety of contexts as support will be provided to a variety of country offices.
The Strategic Partnership Officer will report to the Senior Strategic Partnerships Officer, in close collaboration with STR IFI focal points. Support may include extended and shorter-term field missions, country-level project preparation, and other types of country-level support as requested by the Senior Director, STR IFI focal points and/or the coordinator of the Strategic Issues pillar.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Proactively scan the development landscape and support exploration of viable opportunities and new approaches for WFP’s strategic engagement in the development space with the Government and other development actors, such as IFIs, particularly in the areas of rural transformation, sustainable infrastructure and human capital development, including social protection.
- Provide and ensure direct support for Country Office engagement with Governments and IFIs, including in the development of projects and proposals related to IFI and domestic resource mobilization.
- Support the design and negotiation of large/complex partnership proposals, joint strategies and/or MOUs in line with corporate norms, processes and external regulations.
- Leverage roster of available expert support that Country Offices can call upon related to IFI and domestic resource mobilization.
- Coordinate with IFI focal points, capturing lessons learnt and these are integrated to ensure a robust engagement with the IFIs.
- Maintain an overview of trends, opportunities, and modalities of partnering with diverse Development actors at the Regional/Global level practices to provide advice, guidance and support to HQ relevant units, Regional Bureaux and Country Offices;
- Analyse the national development plan, sectorial priorities, budgeting and spending priorities to determine how WFP could support the Government with furthering its priorities and closing the resources gap.
- Identify and support follow up on strategic and funding opportunities to partner to advance countries' development agendas and support achievement of relevant goals and targets of the 2030 Agenda, the SDGs, and other relevant platforms, within the framework of national Zero Hunger Strategic Reviews, WFP's Country Strategic Plans, and SSTC; and
- Identify thematic areas of engagement related to WFP work, seek partnerships with strategic stakeholders, and develops proposals involving relevant HQ units, RB and Cos.
- Provide strategic advice to Senior management for engagement with governmental authorities (local, subnational, and national), and other development actors including International Financial Institutions
- Provide technical advice or mobilise technical expertise, to support the development of agreements with national governments which support government efforts in the achievement of SDG 2.
QUALIFICATIONS AND KEY REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree in Political Science, International Development, Development Economics, International Relations, Law, Marketing, Communications, or other relevant fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- At least 8 years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience, including specialized knowledge and experience required to design and drive strategic partnerships with national governments and International Financial Institutions.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proven experience working with and/or within government and International Financial Institutions
- Proven experience designing and negotiating IFI funding sourced agreements
- Knowledge and experience in project design and management are required to design and drive strategic partnerships with national governments and IFIs.
- Strong understanding of WFP and/or IFI rules and regulations and planning processes.
- Strategic vision, analytical skills, policy design skills, negotiating capabilities, and diplomatic acumen.
- Ability to work and act under pressure and with discretion in a sensitive and challenging environment and liaise with a wide range of people at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong organization and time management skills with an ability to plan, anticipate and manage requirements for both the team and for one’s own work effectively.
- Experience leading a team
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org