Founded in 1991 to support local activists and journalists in the collapsing Yugoslavia who stood against rising intolerance and hate speech, IWPR has grown into an independent not-for-profit organization that works with media and civil society to promote positive change in closed, in conflict and in transitioning societies worldwide. From home offices in the United States and The Netherlands, and our global headquarters in London, we work on the ground in more than two dozen of the world’s most challenging environments.
In this new role, as the principal architect, advisor and implementer for IWPR’s proposal and fundraising efforts, current set at approximately $20M USD per year, you will lead, identify and support new business opportunities globally and lead all aspects of fundraising and marketing campaigns, international partnerships and institutional advancement programs.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Identify and support new business opportunities. Oversee the writing of all concept papers, grant proposals, and other documentation to ensure alignment with goals, from large multi-million dollar bids to small concept notes for private funders.
2. Lead all aspects of fundraising and meets annual targets. Oversee giving activities and design outreach efforts. Work closely with Executive Director and Boards to enhance outreach efforts and build donor bases.
3. Represent IWPR. Attend external events to build relationships, market IWPR, and identify trends and opportunities.
4. Develop and implement an annual plan for departmental operations. Lead and direct departmental operations and staff. Prepare and monitor the operation’s staff, development, and fundraising budgets.
5. Lead and direct departmental operations and staff.
● Broad understanding of principles of international development especially in the areas of media, democracy building, free press, and human rights.
● Proven ability to continuously increase revenue through winning proposals for US, UK, EU and other government/institutional funders, successful fundraising strategies, communications and outreach programs, and high-profile events.
● Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
● Proven high-level management skills.
● Strong written communication skills, including demonstrated ability to write required documents in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
● Strong interpersonal skills to negotiate and work with foreign experts, managers, government and non-government officials, and IWPR staff at all levels of the organization.
● Excellent organizational skills. Ability to manage deadlines and to work independently.
● Ability to work in a cross-cultural, geographically dispersed team environment.
● Able to travel nationally and internationally approximately 20% of the time.
● Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language a plus.
● Bachelor’s degree in international development, marketing, journalism, or related field.
● Minimum of ten years’ progressively responsible experience successfully fundraising and managing proposals in response to US, UK, EU and other donors in non-profit advocacy organizations, particularly international media and/or human rights.
● Equivalent combination of education and experience.
To apply for the post, please send a letter of application stating the skills and approach that you would bring to the role along with your CV/resume (no photos) in English in strict confidence BY EMAIL ONLY to Zoe Oldham [email protected].
Ensure that they are sent as Word documents with the titles “your name cover letter” and “your name CV”. Please put "Dir Global BD FR - IWPR” in the email subject line.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*