The Europe and Central Asia division of Human Rights Watch is seeking a highly-motivated candidate to provide administrative support to the team. The Europe and Central Asia division is a part of the Program Office. The Program Office consists of regional and thematic divisions and oversees research, reporting and various other work. The Europe and Central Asia Division works to advance human rights throughout Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia, and Turkey and conducts a wide range of work, including investigation, report writing, advocacy and media work. This position reports to the Londonbased Deputy Director in the ECA Division who oversees work on the EU region, Western Balkans and Turkey, and supports the Berlin-based Director and other members of the ECA Division. HRW anticipates that the successful candidate will take up this position as soon as possible and no later than December 2017. This position is based in HRW’s Brussels or Berlin office.
- Provide day-to-day administrative support to Division staff located in multiple offices, including scheduling, making travel arrangements, assisting with expense reports, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, assisting with procurement of visas and other travel documents, creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems, and responding to requests for information;
- Assist with preparing, drafting, proofreading, editing, formatting, and/or distributing materials such as news releases, reports, tables, charts, briefing papers, op-eds, publications and web content;
- Maintain communication among HRW offices, global staff, and external partners;
- Assist with desk research, news monitoring, electronic clippings, wires, and translations;
- Assist with advisory committee matters, meetings, and special events;
- Assist with recruiting and coordinating interns and recruiting division staff; and
- Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science or a related field is required.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills with strong attention to detail are required;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Proficiency in Turkish, Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian, German, and/or other European languages is preferred;
- Strong interest in international human rights is required;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks are required;
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required;
- Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally is required;
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current Belgian or German work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Occasional travel to other countries in the ECA region may be required to organize report launches or provide other administrative support.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers comprehensive compensation and benefits.
*Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org*