Oxfam America established a Private Sector Department in order to channel the creativity, resources, and influence of the private sector to pro-poor ends. As a rare global development organization with private sector capacity, OA is a leader in corporate campaigning, innovative collaborations, and pro-poor private sector development.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION: The Private Sector Advocacy Manager will build, direct, manage and strengthen Oxfam America’s private sector strategy for policy, advocacy and campaigning and its capacity to engage key US-based private sector actors relevant to Oxfam’s priorities. The Private Sector Advocacy Manager will also support, manage and supervise the PSD’s campaign team.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Private Sector Advisors assigned to PSD Advocacy unit, interns, and consultants
RELATIONSHIPS: Coordinates with all members of PSD’s team, as well as employees in other Oxfam America (OA)’s departments, including resource development, communications, and programmatic, policy, research and campaigning through its food systems and accountable development finance work streams, Oxfam’s Regional Offices, and the Executive Office. Also coordinates with Oxfam International counterparts. Also coordinates with a wide variety of external stakeholders including companies, researchers, consultants, donors, the media, and partner organizations.
Oversee new and existing initiatives relating to Oxfam corporate advocacy and campaigns
- Provide direction and oversight to Oxfam private sector advocacy and campaigns – food and agriculture, extractive industries, US domestic poverty, and tax/fiscal justice. This function includes developing and screening opportunities, overseeing strategy development, and assessing which opportunities should be advanced within necessary resource requirements
- Lead strategies for successfully targeting and engaging with private sector actors relevant to Oxfam America campaigns
- Provide direction and support to Oxfam private sector advocacy tools, including human rights impact assessments, investor engagement, and the Activist Fund
- Manage risk within corporate advocacy work, including through active engagement in strengthening corporate fundraising protocols
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities to grow restricted funding support for Oxfam’s private sector advocacy work
Strengthen Oxfam America’s capacity to influence public policy
- Lead strategies for successfully targeting and engaging with private sector actors to support Oxfam’s public policy, legislative, and international treaty agenda.
- Lead efforts with private sector leaders to jointly promote Oxfam’s advocacy priorities in the media, Congress and other public forums.
- Strengthen and build new ties to key private sector constituencies with interest in supporting Oxfam’s domestic and international policy agenda.
Provide management and leadership to PSD
- Manage Private Sector advisors assigned to PSD Advocacy team. Hire and train new staff, interns and consultants.
- Manage operational activities of advocacy and campaign functions of the PSD. Continuously improve knowledge, efficiency and learning.
- Serve on PSD Leadership Team, helping to build and guide the PSD team, through strategic planning and shared management responsibilities.
- Contribute to broader Oxfam strategy and protocol development for engagement with private sector actors.
Strengthen Oxfam America’s external profile and high level engagement with private sector actors
- Strengthen and expand relationships with key allies involved in corporate advocacy and campaigns, including progressive shareholder (SRI) community and NGOs, as well as ties to Oxfam International affiliate private sector teams around CSR, BHR and multi-stakeholder initiatives
- Lead effort to build strong external private sector profile for Oxfam via speaking engagements, events, blogs and social media
- Build internal capacity relating to the private sector advocacy and engagement
- Support Private Sector Director and Deputy Director as requested
- Provide ad hoc guidance and support to Oxfam America and Oxfam International President and Senior Leadership as requested
OTHER EXPECTATIONS FOR THE POSITION:
- Stay abreast of professional standards, trends and issues affecting this set of responsibilities, demonstrating continuous learning of the field.
- Work effectively and collaboratively in support of building a team-based culture of work; perform all duties appropriately for a multi-cultural environment, treating all persons with dignity and respect; be familiar with and committed to Oxfam America mission and goals.
- Periodic travel up to a maximum of ten weeks per year.
- Contribute to funding proposals, private sector strategy documents, research and policy publications.
- Master’s degree in economics, political science, government or a development related discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Strong management background.
- 5-10 years experience working with senior level executives and private sector actors.
- Experience working within the CSR field.
- Demonstrable track record of achieving results in campaigning and/or policy advocacy and policy development, authoring briefs and reports and building successful relations with decision-makers.
- Strong expertise in the international development fields.
- Strong relationship-building skills. Diplomacy, tact and excellent team working.
- Strong understanding of, and experience working with, the US legislative process.
- Masters degree in political science, government or development related discipline or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working on campaigns and/or legislative initiatives targeting private sector actors.
- Familiarity with specific industries of interest to Oxfam, including: extractives, agriculture, finance, pharmaceuticals, apparel, or big box retailers.
- Familiarity with policy & campaigning areas of work (i.e., economic justice, climate change, aid effectiveness & trade).
- Proficiency in a second language (Spanish preferred).
- Experience living and working overseas, preferably in developing countries.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org