You will contribute to providing strategic direction and management of the Country Program's (CP's) programming complementing the Head of Programming (HOP) efforts at ensuring the establishment and successful implementation of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You will supervise one or more Strategic Program Areas, and all the projects in it. Your management and programming skills will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming.
- Complement the HOP in providing strategic direction for the design of CP strategic frameworks and plans, including resource mobilization strategies to optimize the impact of programming interventions in line with regional and agency strategic priorities.
- Lead where appropriate and contribute to high-quality project design incorporating project management standards and MEAL methods, appropriate to scope, context and technical requirements of projects, including use of Information Communication and Technology for Development (ICT4D). Coordinate realistic planning of activities for particular projects to ensure integration of program interventions and efficiency in implementation.
- Contribute to creating and maintaining the proper conditions for learning. Help establish a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Promote accountability, learning and knowledge management as part of the implementation of the MEAL policy.
- Coordinate with CP operations staff to ensure appropriate project budgeting and efficient use and stewardship of project material sources. This should include close collaboration with project managers, Heads of sub-offices and the finance team for the development and periodic review of annual budgets, cash flow plans, project expenditure statements, and make appropriate adjustments.
- Coordinate the identification, assessment and strengthening of appropriate partnerships and the appropriate application of partnership concepts, tools and approaches, with church partners, government's services, national and international NGOs and the private sector.
- Contribute where needed in the business development cycle to ensure quality proposals per agency and donor standards.
- Effectively manage talent. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance assessment for direct reports.
- Coordinate technical assistance and capacity strengthening for project teams and partners in project management standards and related MEAL, business development and operational activities. Help identify training opportunities, develop training curriculums and deliver trainings.Ensure CP project reports' submission timelines and control their quality before submission to donors and other external partners.
- Conduct field visits to support project teams and maintain a high quality of interventions.
- Represent the CP, if necessary, at the various national coordination bodies and technical forums.
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in International Development, International Relations or relevant field.
- Minimum of 4-5 years work experience in a program management position with progressive responsibilities for an international NGO.
- Good experience in project grants management, including project design, budget preparation, expenditure tracking, monitoring and evaluation, reporting, etc., preferably for projects funded by multiple public donors, including US Government (USAID, USDA...), Global Fund, European Union, DFID.
- Experience with successful business development activities capturing public and/or private donor funding.
- Excellent French and English writing skills.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with Church partners a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment.
- Some experience and abilities in capacity strengthening - developing curricula and facilitating trainings.
- Experience using MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge sharing networks and national coordination bodies and technical forums/working groups.
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities.
- Presentation and facilitation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- Fluent both in French and English.
- Available to devote at least 30% of his time on travels.
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: 3-5 staff (Heads of Department, Projects Managers, or technical advisors) as direct reports with 40-45 staff on line supervision.
Internal: Head of Programming, Country Representative, Head of Operations, Head of Offices, Emergency coordinator, other projects' staffs and programming head of departments, Finance Manager, Human Resources Manager, Admin Manager, Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality (DRD PQ), Technical advisors as well as operations support departments' staffs based at regional and HQ levels.
External: Partners organization technical and Board staffs, Universities, Church Officials and CARITAS staff, Mali Government ministries, WFP, WHO, Agriculture Research Institutes, and any other relevant local or international technical Institutions.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org