This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
The primary objective of the Department of Health Systems and Services (HSS) is to strengthen health systems based on Primary Health Care, supporting universal health coverage. Its work encompasses the following areas: strengthening of health systems governance for social protection in health; strengthening of regulatory frameworks and financial protection for progressive realization of the right to health; organizing people-centered, integrated health service delivery; promoting access to and rational use of quality, safe, and effective medicines and health technologies; strengthening national health research systems, and promoting the integration of scientific knowledge into health care, health policies, and technical cooperation; and developing human resources for health.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the general supervision of the Director, Health Systems and Services (HSS), and the direct supervision of the Unit Chief, Strategic Fund Management for Public Health (HSS/SF), the incumbent is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Support the development and implementation of strategies for growth and scale up of the Strategic Fund to increase uptake by Member States, with a special focus on single and limited source or high price medicines and other health technologies, taking into consideration market dynamics, intellectual property, national laws and regulations, and regulatory frameworks;
- Evaluate regulatory options to expand access to generic or biosimilars medicines, when feasible, through the Strategic Fund in accordance with national and international regulations in order to improve sustainability for priority health programs;
- Expand and develop cooperation between the Strategic Fund with bilateral and multilateral agencies, non-governmental organizations, sub-regional integration mechanisms, Member States and other partners to advance the interests and objectives of the Strategic Fund, particularly with regard to promoting the supply of single/limited source or high price medicines in priority health programs;
- Support the development of targeted strategies that promote uptake and use of single/limited source medicines and health technologies, in coordination with PAHO technical programs and Member States, through the PAHO SF;
- Identify opportunities for the creation of new partnerships in order to increase the capacity of the PAHO Strategic Fund to promote and facilitate access to single/limited source or high price medicines;
- Support the preparation of procurement plans and strategic actions with the participation of other PAHO technical programs, with special focus on high cost single and limited source medicines and other health technologies, especially in South America and the Caribbean Region, taking into consideration market dynamics and regulatory frameworks;
- Develop market analyses (e.g. potential suppliers, product pipelines, global demand trends, intellectual property, regulatory barriers and procurement approaches) for relevant single and limited source or high price medicines and other health technologies to be procured through the Strategic Fund;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: A university degree in public health, pharmacy, international relations, law or in any of the areas related to the functions of the position, from an accredited institution.
Desirable: A master’s degree in public health or other health or social science would be an asset.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation http://www.chea.org and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator to support the validation process.
Essential: Seven years of combined national and international experience in areas related to health systems policies, stewardship, and regulation. At least three years of national experience in the design, management and or coordination of agencies or national entities responsible for health systems regulation.
- Overall attitude at work - Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences - Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Teamwork - Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others; welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team. Proactively identifies conflicts and facilitates their resolution in a respectful manner; tactfully resolves conflicts between or with others and takes action to reduce any possible tension; effectively builds a rapport with individuals and teams, establishing good personal and professional relationships, as well as minimizing risk of potential conflict.
- Communication - Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
- Knowing and Managing Yourself - Remains objective and focused even in a “changing and moving” environment; continues to display positive behavior when facing some constraints; keeps challenges in perspective. Effectively controls own emotions, avoiding displaying them inappropriately; continues to show positive attitude when producing individual results, as well as supporting team’s work; continues to be collaborative with others, even in stressful and challenging circumstances. Sees feedback as a key element in personal and professional development; displays a high level of self-awareness in response to positive and negative feedback, accepts negative feedback positively, moving forward quickly and constructively. Seeks all relevant information for decision making from a wide range of sources; quickly learns new competencies and skills that expand role capability; shows rapid understanding of new and/or complex information relevant to job.
- Producing Results - Monitors own and others’ work in a systematic and effective way, ensuring required resources and outputs. Aligns projects with Organization’s mission and objectives. Consistently solves own and team’s problems effectively as needed. Challenges self and team to deliver high quality results, in line with Organizational goals. Welcomes challenges to produce new results. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Shows awareness of own role and clarifies roles of team members in relation to project’s expected results. Consults counterparts as required and takes responsibility for work of own team. Demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts. Proactively engages in projects and initiatives, accepting demanding goals, in line with Organizational Strategies and Program of Work. Demonstrates accountability for work of team and sets an example, while explicitly articulating lessons learnt for own and team’s benefit.
- Theoretical knowledge and technical expertise in international legal and regulatory aspects related to access and regulation of high cost single or limited source medicines and other health technologies.
- Ability to identify priorities and develop strategies and activities to bring together and promote partnerships between all stakeholders to promote access to high cost single or limited source medicines and other health technologies.
- Mature judgment, strong technical, analytical, conceptual, interpersonal and communication skills; demonstrated ability to identify, assess, analyze, synthesize and provide recommendations on key political, technical and administrative issues.
- Ability to coordinate, establish and maintain identifiable results-oriented productive relationships with key actors within, monitoring activities, ensuring product delivery and reporting.
- Ability to formulate technical cooperation interventions and develop criteria for evaluating program interventions.
- Strong professional oral and writing skills including the development of reports, oral presentations, and technical/persuasive documents for consideration at the highest levels of the Organization
Very good knowledge of English or Spanish with a working knowledge of the other language. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio and Project would be an asset.
Annual Salary: (Net of taxes)
US$ 60,233.00 + post adjustment
Post Adjustment: 47.6% of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org