We are Global Leadership Adventures (GLA), a well-established organization committed to delivering life-changing journeys for high school and middle school students. Our mission is to inspire the next generation to realize their potential to transform the world and their role in it. We have proudly operated our global service-learning programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, and Latin America for more than a decade and are excited to offer our new Europe Discovery programs focused on educational, exploratory travel.
International Directors collaborate with the Local Program Director (from the host country) to facilitate a positive summer experience for Mentors and participants. Program Directors work to maintain the safety and health of each student, ensure program logistics are properly coordinated and implement GLA’s service-learning leadership curriculum. Communication, teamwork and flexibility are critical throughout this process. Local Directors are responsible for managing, supporting, and guiding local team members in their roles.
Mentors participate in all aspects of programming alongside students, including community service and excursions. Mentors facilitate activities implementing GLA’s service-learning leadership curriculum, as well as discussion and reflection sessions to help students process their experiences. Mentors will facilitate discussions directly with a small group of students regularly and occasionally lead activities with larger groups of students.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of two years of experience working with teens; either teaching in a classroom or in an alternative education setting
- Two years of experience working with middle school students for our middle school program
- Mastery relating with teenagers
- Extensive international travel experience
- For Europe Discovery programs, experience living in-country and speaking the local language is mandatory
- Flexibility – our staff have the ability to find comfort in the discomfort, no matter their location
- Exceedingly personable and positive demeanor
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and cross-cultural awareness
- Collaborative in nature; skilled in problem solving
- Good physical and mental health – staff must possess the ability to actively participate in all elements of the program’s experience
- Ability to talk things out and a willingness to express your professional opinions while considering your personal feelings and the feelings of your colleagues
- Natural aptitude to motivate and energize students in a variety of settings and situations