The incumbent serves as an Team Lead Editor during the the overnight shift for the Hub/Real Time News Desk, located in the Voice of America, News Center and is responsible for reviewing and evaluating news sources and developments for timely news coverage and updates for distribution on multiple platforms; digital, TV, radio, and social media. The incumbent acts as a shift leader in the absence of the Hub/Duty Editor and fills in for coverage, assignment and TV Editors in their absence.
Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Under the guidance of the Hub Duty Editor, oversees the writing, reporting, editing and posting to voanews.com and VOA social platforms of all news products and ensures they are accurate, authoritative, comprehensive and balanced; ensures that program content follows VOA Charter guidelines and is appropriate to the media needs of the target audience and the needs of program distributors.
- Communicates and articulates team assignments. Leads the Hub/Real Time News Desk reporters, writers, web editors, social media team and producers in identifying, distributing, and balancing work assignments; makes adjustments to meet deadlines.
- Acts as TV editor, Assignment Editor, Beat team leader, or coverage editor if those editors and leaders are not working. Can edit and assign reporters and correspondents as news requires in the absence of those editors. Works in close coordination with all News Center assigning editors
- Reviews and evaluates news sources and developments to identify items for news coverage and updates. Communicates with other editors, writers, correspondents, production staff, home page editors, and social media staff to ensure comprehensive news coverage and timely updates.
- Approves or does final edits on major stories to ensure copy is timely, comprehensive and accurate; determines and assigns necessary revisions; reviews top stories for accuracy and completeness
- Oversees web-formatting and production details to ensure the finished story is properly interlinked with related content; original photos; activation of reader comments; and social media lineup. Monitors traffic/reader reaction to finished piece.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. citizenship required.
- Candidates MUST meet all qualification requirements by closing date.
- Applicants must complete online questionnaire.
- This is a sensitive or national security position.
- Suitability Determination: If selected, you will be subject to a security investigation to establish your suitability for federal employment. The security investigation will include, among other aspects, a review of your credit and legal history.
- THIS POSITION REQUIRES WORKING NIGHTS; MAY REQUIRE WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.
- THIS POSITION IS NOT COVERED BY A UNION AGREEMENT
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-12), which is directly related to this line of work.
Specialized Experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized Experience for this position is defined as:
The incumbent has experience leading, coordinating, editing, and evaluating news sources and developments for timely news coverage and updates for distribution on multiple platforms - digital, TV, radio, social media. Experience acting as a leader for coverage of assignments. Ability to set priorities and dead-lines for stories that are of relevance to a global audience.
Applicants must be able to work the overnight shift.
Applicant cannot substitute education for experience.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org