The National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) has an opening for a Technical Specialist in the International Programs Department. The department seeks to empower the global community of regulators to drive meaningful change in their energy sectors. Working in partnership with U.S. and international government officials, our projects support real improvements in the quality and effectiveness of regulation in foreign countries through dialogue and collaboration. We utilize the talents and expertise of state commissioners and staff in our work, sharing the best of what the NARUC community has to offer.The position will serve as in-house technical expert on international projects to assist partner energy regulators in countries with transitioning and emerging economies throughout Africa, Asia, Eurasia and other regions. In collaboration with Program Managers and Officers drafts project deliverables, participates in workshops/trainings, conducts in-country field work and reviews and edits project deliverables prepared by outside project consultants. The position reports to the Principal Technical Advisor (PTA).
Requires significant experience and practitioner-level knowledge in the economic regulation of electric and natural gas utility services, including but not limited to regulatory accounting, revenue requirement, cost reflective tariffs, tariff design, prudence review of infrastructure investments, etc. Under NARUC’s programming for results design, the Technical Specialist must be able to identify necessary stepping stones and phases for various energy reform processes and be able to translate regulatory best practices from U.S. and international experiences into the context of countries with emerging economies.
Program Management and Technical Support
- Prepares defined in-house technical work for specific projects.
- Supports identification of milestones/progress with practical recommendations to program staff.
- Provides technical guidance to program staff on project design and scope of work.
- Contributes to in-house prepared and/or external consultant prepared project deliverables, including regulations, policies, procedures, technical analysis/review and laws.
- Drafts/reviews scopes of work and requests for proposals, consulting agreements and contracts to ensure appropriate sequencing of milestones so that foreign partners can achieve identified targets and results.
- Serves as workshop trainer/facilitator and other key roles to reduce reliance on outside consultants.
- Supports oversight of technical output under contracts; conducts technical analysis.
- Oversees progress and quality of technical assistance projects by outside project consultants.
- Assists in developing work plans and concept papers.
Reporting and Coordination with Clients and Partners
- Communicates with foreign partners.
- Gathers real-time information with partners.
- Builds and sustains relationships with partners.
- Works directly with foreign regulators on real-life challenges, outlining a stepping stone approach for forward progress.
- Briefs donors on partner capacity building needs, challenges and results, when appropriate utilizing case studies, best practices and program reporting.
- Assists with identifying and pursuing new business opportunities and relationships. Undertakes scoping trips, attends critical events and/or liaises with donors to develop new projects, provide expert guidance and/or report on key results.
- Promotes transfer of knowledge to program staff.
- Provides support to program staff in the design of work plans, activity agendas, and other program documents and planning that lead to actionable steps and results by the recipient foreign energy regulator.
- Serves as a technical resource to program staff by promoting knowledge transfer and learning opportunities.
- Supports program staff in identifying project visions.
Compliance & Financial Management
- Coordinates on budget adherence.
- Ensures compliance with NARUC and USG policies, regulations and operational and financial procedures.
- Supports and/or prepares proper documentation to ensure timely submission of expenses.
- Maintains appropriate documentation to support program files, budget planning and expense reports, and financial audits.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other duties as assigned
- BA/BS from an accredited college or university in accounting, finance, economics or regulatory law or other related field. Minimum 6 years of progressive professional experience in the energy industry is required. Experience in working with emerging and transitioning economies is highly desirable.
- Specific knowledge and experience with EU requirements is desired.
- International travel 35-45% of the time is required. (After COVID-19 travel restrictions are lifted)
- US citizenship or existing work authorization is required. .
- Strong strategic planning experience, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, juggle multiple projects and meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving abilities under tight deadlines are also essential. Ability to multi-task based on fluctuating priorities and requirements.
- Strong leadership and management skills, with the ability to develop and manage collaborative business relationships both internally and externally are a must.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and diplomacy for working with all levels of staff, external entities and NARUC leadership.
- Excellent proficiency in analytical, verbal presentation and writing skills.
- Ability to handle and maintain the confidentiality of highly sensitive information and issues.
The position is grant-funded and continued employment is based on client funding and satisfactory work performance. This is an exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. NARUC has an excellent benefits package. This posting is not an attempt to list all essential functions of this position. Job duties may change over time, based on NARUC’s needs.
The National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested individuals must submit cover letter with compensation requirements and a resume to: [email protected]