Girls Not Brides is seeking a Media and Communications Officer to join its global secretariat.
Based in the Girls Not Brides office in Central London, the Media and Communications Officer will work closely with and report to the Head of Communications. You will play a lead role in media outreach, running the press office function as well as proactively developing media strategies and campaigns to support and highlight the work of Girls Not Brides members and the secretariat.
- Significant experience of working in a primarily media-focused communications role.
- Demonstrated ability to implement a successful media strategy at a global and regional level.
- Strong news sense and an ability to spot newsworthy opportunities to raise the profile of Girls Not Brides and its Members.
- Experience preparing spokespeople for interviews, including drafting talking points, briefings and messaging frameworks.
- Expertise in creating quality media content including a demonstrated ability to write engaging, clear and concise copy.
- Proven experience of working with UK and international media contacts interested in global social issues and securing quality coverage.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage relationships with journalists, and consultants such as photographers.
- Ability to organise and implement successful media field visits and media-focused events.
- Experience of working on sensitive issues in a balanced way with a focus on solutions-driven messaging rather than sensationalism.
- Willingness to travel to different regions when necessary, sometimes at short notice.
- Some experience of working within a news/media organisation would be an advantage.
- Strong commitment to the mission and values of Girls Not Brides and our vision in relation to addressing child marriage and the empowerment of girls and women.
- Proactive and able to confidently take initiative and make appropriate decisions.
- Direct experience of working in a media-focused role is essential.
- Excellent story-telling and media pitching skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to write for different audiences.
- A good eye for accuracy and detail and potential implementation challenges.
- Experience of successfully developing story ideas and creative communications concepts.
- Basic knowledge of photography / film making.
- Experience using media monitoring systems such as Vuelio or Meltwater.
- Excellent written and spoken English; proficiency in another relevant language, such as French or Spanish is highly desirable.
Personal skills and experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an inquisitive and analytical mind.
- Willingness to work in a collaborative team and with diverse stakeholders, including an ability to work in different cultural environments, and work sensitively with Members from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Highly reliable, organised, proactive and capable of independent judgement.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Experience in managing contractors, such as freelance journalists, media consultants, film producers, and photographers.
- Experience of supporting high-profile individuals is desirable.
- Experience of working in a media role for a membership organisation or secretariat is desirable.
- An interest in or experience of working in international development is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org