Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is in the ‘Unit on the 2030 Agenda’ of the Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA - unescwa.org). The Economic Affairs Officer reports to the Chief of the unit.
The Economic Affairs Officer will be responsible for the following :
- Carries out in-depth qualitative and quantitative analysis of the development challenges faced by countries in the Arab region;
- Develops socio-economic databases and qualitative information necessary to assessing progress towards attaining the SDGs in the Arab countries;
- Compiles statistical data on SDG indicators from global and national sources;
- Interprets, applies and, as necessary, adapts econometric models to determine trends, patterns and relationships and to analyse the effects of alternative policies and assumptions;
- Identifies and analyses policies and strategies relevant to the SDGs;
- Contributes to formulating evidence-based integrated policy recommendations to ESCWA member States relating to the achievement of the SDGs;
- Drafts specified inputs for reports, including thematic analyses, background papers, the Arab Sustainable Development Report and analytical studies on national and regional trends in the implementation and follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda;
- Prepares substantive inputs related to the Arab Forum for Sustainable Development and related activities;
- Prepares inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies, attends intergovernmental meetings and prepares summary reports;
- Prepares substantive terms of reference for external consultants and experts;
- Implements agreed-upon quality assurance tools to assess and validate the work of consultants and experts;
- Supports missions to Member States relating to the implementation and follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda;
- Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, and workshops on sustainable development issues, including awareness raising and capacity building activities, and drafts activity reports as required;
- Attends international, regional, and national meetings and follows-up with the main counterparts accordingly;
- Participates in and contributes to work-planning exercises of the 2030 Agenda and SDG Coordination Cluster, including the budget and day-to-day operations;
- Participates in intra- and inter-departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the 2030 Agenda and SDG Coordination Cluster;
- Supports the Cluster in coordinating substantive deliverables across ESCWA, soliciting feedback and ensuring effective knowledge and information sharing;
- Prepares speeches, talking points, and inputs to presentations as required by senior staff;
- Supports the Cluster teams, reviews their work and provides feedback;
- Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of outputs and services;
- Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
- Professionalism: Ability to conduct research on sustainable development topics, determine suitability, validity and accuracy of data provided by different sources. Ability to undertake policy analysis from an SDG perspective and in light of the 2030 Agenda principles. Ability to apply statistical theories and methods in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data for use in the formulation and implementation of social, economic and environment policies in the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) in economics, development studies or other social science discipline (involving exposure to intermediate or advanced level statistics) is required. Doctoral or post-doctoral qualification in a relevant area is desirable. A first-level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis and policy formulation is required.
- Proven familiarity with internationally agreed development goals is desirable.
- Proven experience in quantitative analysis is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. In addition, Arabic is a working language at ESCWA. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Arabic is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org