GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving - and millions of lives - by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is allocated to evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark, and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty. GiveDirectly has raised over $400M in revenue (>$150M in 2020 alone), while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
GiveDirectly is expanding its reach into Nigeria to test new approaches to humanitarian cash aid delivery and is looking for a Senior Field Manager or Field Manager, depending on experience (S/FM). The Senior S/FM will contribute significantly to the development of the Nigeria country strategy and work as a thought partner within the Humanitarian team. Example tasks may include brainstorming options for recipients targeting, evaluating financial service providers, or drafting security protocols for work in remote areas. We are looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who is excited to work in a fast-paced environment. This is a 6-month contract position to start, with the opportunity to extend depending on funding availability and performance.
The S/FM will be able to complete a range of the following tasks:
- Project Design & Management
- Support the project team to ideate and evaluate new projects, pilots, and technologies.
- Scope and test various payment and program enrollment modalities that enable cash transfers to vulnerable, and often remote, individuals & communities.
- Manage all aspects of pilot ground operations, including possible relationships with independent mobilization teams.
- Contribute significantly to the overall vision of the program, working with Senior Managers to resolve issues.
- Participate in Formal 1:1 meetings with Senior Managers weekly with frequent (near daily) informal check-ins.
- Government & Community engagement
- Represent GiveDirectly locally to government and community stakeholders.
- Meet with local community leaders and government officials to gain support for the GD program and keep them informed about GD’s activities.
- Risk management and process improvement
- Anticipate areas of risk and create mitigation plans (e.g. deviations in ops quality, fraud opportunities, safeguarding, etc.).
- Draft security protocols for work in remote areas and stay up to date on evolving security contexts in areas of interest.
- Assist in with response to troubleshooting & “crisis” events.
- Forecast and manage in-country operating cash needs.
- Support with in-country material and vendor procurements and payments.
- Support with the filing of relevant tax documentation.
- Complete other miscellaneous administrative tasks as needed.
- Support for auxiliary projects
- Assist Managers/Directors with communicating and executing new projects/pilots/technologies (e.g. new survey roll out and training, new payment partner, etc).
- Assist Managers/Directors with hosting journalists, donors, and other external parties (as needed).
- Onboard and manage field teams, if needed.
- This is a contract position for an initial period of 6 months, with the opportunity to extend depending on funding availability and performance.
- S/FM is ideally based in Abuja or Lagos, but open to applicants from other areas of the country.
- This is a full time position. At times, the S/FM may be asked to work early or late hours, including for field visits and/or stay in the field overnight.
**GD is committed to observing all local, national and international laws that protect children, vulnerable adults, and basic human rights of all. GD is committed to a policy of “zero tolerance for sexual exploitation, abuse, and harassment (SEAH)” and expects anyone who works for GD to uphold the protection and safeguarding of our recipients as a priority.**
- Fluency in English and at least one other major language of Nigeria (Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, etc.) is required. Preference given for those that speak multiple languages of Nigeria.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and organizational skills – will need to work with community leaders and community members, key public and private partners, as well as manage upwards.
- Great communication skills – will explain the program to potential beneficiaries, and answer questions from communities and community leaders.
- At least 3-5 years of management experience, preferably in the financial services, telecom, business, or NGO sectors.
- Technical literacy – must use a smartphone to quickly and accurately, must be able to use a computer to enter timesheets and expenses and communicate remotely.
- Fast learner – must learn the complexities of our program, and communicate those to stakeholders
- Experience working in remote and/or high-security settings in Nigeria is highly desirable.
- Strong interest in advancing the values and mission of GiveDirectly.
Recipients first. We prioritize recipient preferences over donor preferences or our own.
Team Next. We do what is best for the success of the organization - not the individual.
Be proactively candid. We say what we believe and are honest in sharing information.
Create positive energy. We strive to be a source of energy - not drain it - for our colleagues.
Think rigorously. Act Quickly. We are intellectually rigorous and oriented towards action - not debate.
Know yourself and grow. We recognize and accept our imperfections with a focus on growth
Accept reality. Propose solutions. We don't dwell on problems. We are actively working to create solutions.
Be productively ambitious. We take the risk of pursuing industry-changing successes, not marginal advancements.
Apply directly on our website here: [Senior] Field Manager