International Bridges to Justice (IBJ) is a nonprofit, non-governmental organization that was founded in 2000 with a vision to end torture in the 21st Century through the just implementation of criminal laws. IBJ’s network of over 30,000 legal defenders rescues individuals trapped in broken judicial systems locally, improves public justice nationally, and leads a movement for legal-rights globally.
The IBJ Syria program began in 2017 in response to the fact that many Syrians are without systemic legal aid. IBJ helps to ensure that those accused of crimes are judged fairly in a court of law and in 2021 has launched a program in Turkey which is focused on advancing justice for Syrians in Turkey.
IBJ is looking for outstanding, self-motivated candidates who want to be part of our ongoing mission to end investigative torture and provide access to legal representation to everyone around the world who needs it. In particular IBJ is seeking candidates with a specific interest in law, refugee rights, criminal justice and the Middle East. Candidates will be assisting with the IBJ program aimed at advancing access to justice for Syrian refugees in Turkey.
· Native Turkish speaker with an excellent command of English
· Law degree/law student
· Knowledge of legal terms
· IBJ welcomes students or recent law graduates who wish to get an education-related job experience.
· Candidates will be assisting with the Turkey program on a work-from-home basis.
· Please note that IBJ cannot provide financial remuneration and it is an unpaid opportunity.
· We ask that interns commit to working with us for a minimum of 12 weeks.
· Interns will work in an international, friendly, challenging and rewarding environment.
· Interns will get direct supervision from specifically assigned staff and our internship coordinator.
· Interns will work on a variety of tasks and initiatives, including providing research for our training programs, assisting in legal needs assessments, helping with program management, reporting and finances, strengthening legal communities, and contributing to our fundraising initiatives. We also look for interns with special talents in graphic design and reporting.
All prospective interns must send a CV and cover letter to [email protected]
The subject line must include the words "Internship Turkey" and the deadline to apply is October 7th.
The cover letter should explain your motivation to intern at IBJ, your proposed period of internship, and any special circumstances that you would like to note to us.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org