Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Registry of the Hague Branch of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (“Mechanism”). The incumbent will report to the Officer-in-Charge, Registry.
Under the authority of the President and the supervision of the Registrar, the incumbent will implement the Mechanism’s public information and external relations activities. The incumbent will be the focal point for key external stakeholders; advise the President and Registrar on policy and strategy, as appropriate; monitor external communications of the Mechanism’s Hague Branch; and disseminate information about the Mechanism to the public in line with the Mechanism’s institutional communication policy. More specifically, the incumbent will:
- Ensure implementation of information programs to publicize priority issues and/or major events, to include drafting information strategies, coordinating efforts, monitoring and reporting on progress, taking appropriate follow-up action, and analyzing the outcome.
- Monitor and analyze current events, public opinion and press, identify issues and trends, and advise management on appropriate action/responses.
- Undertake activities to promote media coverage of priority issues and/or major events, to include development of a media strategy and action plan, initiating pro-active media outreach efforts, proposing and arranging press conferences/media coverage, disseminating materials and consulting with press on approach/story angle and other information requests, undertaking appropriate follow-up action and analyzing and reporting on the impact of coverage.
- Produce or oversee production of a specific type or types (e.g. print, broadcast, social media, etc.) of information communications products (e.g. press kits, press releases, feature articles, speeches, booklets, brochures, backgrounders, audio-visual materials, radio spot program, etc.), to include proposing topics, undertaking research, determining appropriate medium and target audience, preparing production plans, writing drafts, obtaining clearances and finalizing texts, editing copy, and coordinating design approval, printing procedures and distribution.
- Ensure that relevant information related to the political, economic or social development of the country of the duty station as well as information related to the functioning of the UN within the duty station is shared with local and international staff.
- Prepare, on the basis of official UN documentation and other sources, initial drafts of articles or chapters for inclusion in UN newsletters, periodicals, reports and books.
- Initiate and sustain professional relationships with key constituencies.
- Act as focal point on specific issues, monitoring and reporting on developments, responding to inquiries, etc.
- Participate in selecting the information transmitted to key constituencies.
- Provide guidance to, and supervise, junior staff within the External Relations Office at the Hague branch.
- Professionalism: Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations. Excellent communication skills, including the ability to produce a variety of written communication products, to deliver oral presentations to various audiences as required, and to build and maintain effective business connections. Understanding of the mandate, operations, legal issues and decisions of the ICTY, ICTR and Mechanism. Demonstrated ability to formulate policy recommendations. Thorough knowledge of current affairs in the different States of the former Yugoslavia and of target audience attitudes towards the Mechanism. Knowledge of diverse communication approaches, tools and methodologies relevant to planning and executing effective campaigns and programmes. Ability to identify public affairs needs, opportunities and risks. Experience in drafting of project proposals, fundraising and donor relations would be an asset. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Client Orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Vision – Identifies strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Clearly communicates links between the Organisations’ strategy and the work units’ goals. Generates and communicates broad and compelling organisational direction, inspiring others to pursue that same direction. Conveys enthusiasm about future possibilities.
- Judgement/Decision-making – Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organisation. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, communications, journalism, public relations, international relations, political science, or related field. A first level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in external relations, international affairs, public information and/or media.
- The following is desirable: considerable experience working on the ground with diplomatic and external relations matters; knowledge of operations and decisions of international tribunals; experience in dealing with a varied audience, such as government representatives, media and local communities.
- English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French and Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian is desirable.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org