Org. Setting and Reporting
The mandate of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is to promote sustainable and inclusive development and regional connectivity in the Asian and Pacific region. ESCAP’s role as a regional development arm of the United Nations Secretariat is to support its membership with policy-oriented research and analysis, normative support and technical assistance, and capacity building, to respond to the development priorities and changing needs of the Asian and Pacific region.
This position is located in APCICT, Incheon, Republic of Korea. The incumbent reports to the Head of APCICT.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of APCICT, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects in the area of capacity-building on ICT for development (ICTD), particularly on the Centre’s training activities (module development, roll-out, and evaluation), research and knowledge-sharing, and advisory services; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and initiates corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; ensures follow-up actions.
- Provides substantive backstopping to inter-governmental meetings, expert group meetings, conferences, technical workshops, and capacity-building workshops, etc., to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations; makes presentations on assigned topics/ activities; organizes high-level policy consultations, including identifying and recruiting pertinent speakers, promoting the consultations, and preparing summary documentation of results/findings.
- Researches, analyzes, and presents information related to ICTD capacity-building in Asia and the Pacific; strengthen knowledge-sharing and learning processes in the area of ICTD capacity-building; liaises with other ICTD networks, institutions, and stakeholders to maintain up-to-date information on complementary initiatives; leads efforts to capture, use and showcase innovations and best practices for broad dissemination; initiates and manages website-based e-discussions on pertinent issues, including in relation to research activities and trainings and conferences; develops and manages the content of a webpage including information related to partner projects, events, innovations, best practices, and other related content.
- Drafts and/or reviews relevant documents and reports, and generates and disseminates information covering substantive meetings, research findings, project insights, upcoming events, and pertinent developments related to the project; coordinates the development and implementation of a strategy for knowledge transfer in close coordination with project stakeholders; organizes and prepares written outputs, e.g. drafts background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides APCICT with a more supportive knowledge-sharing and learning environment; contributes to the formulation of overall policies, procedures, objectives, and guidelines affecting the development and maintenance of APCICT’s databases and archives; manages publications programme; produces materials for print/electronic/voice/visual media; coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and prepares related documents; carries out managerial responsibilities relating to compliance with administrative requirements, planning, policy and procedure recommendations, human resources and facilities management.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of ICTD institutional and human capacity-building as well as practical experience in this area; Ability to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate ICTD human and institutional capacity development programmes/projects for member states and economies in transition; Knowledge and understanding of current practices, emerging trends, and approaches relevant to ICTD capacity-building; Demonstrates competence in undertaking knowledge-sharing initiatives, establishing and supporting networks and communities to exchange practices and experiences on ICTD, and providing advisory services to member states; Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent ICTD research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases; Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities; Shows pride in work and in achievements demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
- Leadership: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow: empowers others to translate vision into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions; drives for change and improvements; does not accept the status quo; shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in science, information communication and technology, public administration, business administration, management, economics or a related field.
- A relevant first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in programme or project planning in the field of development in an International Organization is required.
- At least three years of hands-on experience in developing and implementing capacity-building programmes or projects on ICT for development (ICTD) in an International Organization is required.
- Experience in ICTD related strategy formulation, resource mobilization, project management, monitoring & evaluation, partnership management and managing functional team is required.
- Experience in promoting knowledge sharing and providing advisory services or technical assistance in the field of ICTD is desirable.
- Experience supporting cross-cutting issues, including gender and diversity initiatives is desirable.
- Experience servicing intergovernmental meetings is desirable.
- At least three years of experience with the United Nations system or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org