Coordinating with other vertical and horizontal WIPO sectors, the IP and Innovation Ecosystems Sector (IES) is responsible for helping Member States develop their IP and innovation ecosystems to drive enterprise and economic growth. IES is also responsible for providing support for researchers and innovators, as well as enterprises, including SMEs, in IP commercialization and otherwise using IP for business growth; issues relating to the emergence of IP as an asset class; and the development of advisory expertise in these and related areas, for example, in national IP strategies.
Within IES, the position is located in the Internet Dispute Resolution Section of the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center, which is a resource center for the resolution of intellectual property disputes between private parties through methods other than court litigation. The Center's areas of activity are covered by the IP Disputes and External Relations Division (comprising the IP Disputes Section, the Information and External Relations Section, and the Business Development Unit), and by the Internet Dispute Resolution Section. The Internet Dispute Resolution Section is responsible for the administration of domain name disputes filed under different policies and various related aspects of the Internet Domain Name System (DNS), as well as selected policy developments as they relate to Internet dispute resolution.
As Associate Legal Officer, the incumbent provides input for the legal and organizational work of the Section by participating in the planning and supervision of the administration of Internet dispute resolution proceedings.
The incumbent works under the supervision of a Senior Legal Officer and under close collaboration with Senior Legal Officers and Legal Officers in the Section.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will perform the following principal duties
- Provide input in the assignment and supervision of work of Legal Case Managers. In consultation with Senior Legal Officers and Legal Officers as appropriate, provide guidance on issues arising in the management of cases.
- Participate and provide support to the Senior Legal Officers in the review of panel decisions for the purpose of inclusion in WIPO's publicly available case-related resources.
- Make proposals to the Senior Legal Officers and Legal Officers on the allocation of WIPO panelists based on case requirements.
- Maintain relations with and provide information to users, relevant organizations and registrars on Internet dispute resolution and operational matters.
- Participate in internal and external seminars, workshops and training courses and deliver training and presentations on Internet dispute resolution matters.
- Keep abreast of developments and undertake legal research on Internet dispute resolution with a view to maintaining and developing WIPO's role in this area.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- First-level university degree in law.
- University degree or studies in intellectual property and/or alternative dispute resolution.
- At least three years of relevant professional experience including in intellectual property law or alternative dispute resolution in a law firm and/or department or agency.
- Excellent written and spoken knowledge of English.
- Good knowledge of another UN official language and/or language relevant to WIPO domain name proceedings.
Job Related Competencies (Essential)
- Knowledge of and ability to work within the policies and procedures applicable to the activities of the work unit.
- Understanding of the use of information technology in the context of dispute resolution processes.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management and work organization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly adaptable to new environments, tasks and demands.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Competent user of databases, applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and the Internet, and ability to work with and to adapt quickly to new software.
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org