We are a network of 12 faith-based development NGOs from across Europe whose purpose is to influence EU policy and practice regarding development and humanitarian aid policies and related issues, in order to provide sustainable benefits to and improvements in the lives of people affected by poverty and injustice around the world
Amongst their many humanitarian and development operations, several ACT Alliance EU agencies together support Israeli and Palestinian civil society and rights groups working in the context of over half a century long occupation of the Palestinian territory. The humanitarian needs to which we respond are the consequence of recurrent violations of international law and a lack of progress towards peace. Over the last two decades the ACT Alliance EU agencies have cooperated under a Working Group structure (the Middle East Working Group - MEWG). This structure is led by a Policy Officer who is based within the ACT Alliance EU secretariat in Brussels.
Purpose of the position
ACT Alliance EU is seeking a committed individual to act as MEWG Policy Offer and to lead the advocacy work with a view to generating and securing political support for EU initiatives aimed at:
- Promoting respect for human rights and ensuring compliance with international law by all parties to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict;
- Protecting humanitarian access for local and international NGOs;
- Supporting and protecting Palestinian and Israeli human rights defenders.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Policy Officer is expected to:
- Keep track of developments in the EU’s foreign, development and humanitarian policy and practice in relation to ACT Alliance EU’s humanitarian and human rights mandate;
- Formulate and distribute policy analysis, updates and recommendations amongst legislators and officials in the EU and member states institutions;
- Identify opportunities for cross-European action in close coordination with ACT Alliance EU member agencies;
- Establish strong working relationships and build alliances with relevant Brussels-based, European, local and international stakeholders, including officials, NGOs, think-tanks, experts and media;
- Generate interest in and support for ACT Alliance EU’s objectives amongst EU officials and legislators independently and together with our members and local partners.
Key working relationships
The Policy Officer is line managed by the ACT Alliance EU Representative in Brussels.
The Policy Officer is supported by the MEWG on the formulation and implementation of the advocacy strategy & annual working-plans.
The ideal candidate is a quick and strategic thinker, independent and a self-starter with:
- A Master’s degree, or comparative, in a relevant discipline (e.g. Political Sciences, Journalism, Law or Economics);
- A good knowledge of the EU, its processes, policies, politics and working culture;
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a challenging and fast-paced political and policy-making environment;
- A passion for and experience in influencing policy change;
- Experience and knowledge of international law, IHL and IHRL, conflict, peace and sustainable development;
- Experience of policy and advocacy work, preferably addressing EU institutions;
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesise and to tailor messaging to different target audiences;
- A sound political judgement and excellent networking and diplomatic skills;
- Excellent communication skills in English;
- Willingness to work flexible hours and to undertake international travel.
In addition, it is an asset if the candidate has any of the following:
- Knowledge of the Middle East, and especially of Israel and Palestine;
- Her/His own network of contacts in Europe and in the MENA region, ideally also in Israel and Palestine;
- Other European languages.
Conditions and application process
Contract’s terms and benefits:
- Open-ended contract subject to availability of funding from members;
- Salary in accordance with ACT Alliance EU salary scales (€4,400 to €4,700 gross per month depending on experience);
- Contribution toward professional training up for up to 1,500 €/year;
- Lunch vouchers, local travel contribution, hospitalisation insurance;
- Travel to European countries and to Israel & Palestine, as needed and within budget.
Starting date: as soon as possible
- Send your application - your CV, including contact details for referees, and a motivation letter to [email protected];
- Specify in the subject line: “Middle East Policy Officer application + SURNAME + FIRST NAME”;
- Closing date to submit application: Thursday 10 November 2022 (00:00 CET);
- Interviews: will be held in late November 2022 in person or online.
For more information on ACT Alliance Advocacy to the European Union
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org