Result of Service
The National Climate and Air Quality Expert will support the Gabon national short lived climate pollutants (SLCP) planning and implementation efforts. This will include integrated SLCP assessments and rapid implementation of actions that reduce SLCPs at the national level. The expert will also assist in strengthening the long-term institutional and technical capacity dedicated to supporting key mitigation measures that contribute to reducing emissions from these high impact sector and political and institutional backing for the SLCP mitigation strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC) is a partnership of governments, intergovernmental organizations, and representatives of the private sector, the environmental community, and other members of civil society.
The CCAC is the only international initiative working on integrated climate and clean air solutions to reduce the rate of near-term warming. It focuses on fast action to reduce emissions of short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs) including methane, black carbon, HFCs and tropospheric ozone.
More information on the CCAC is available at: www.ccacoalition.org
Gabon is a CCAC State Partner. Gabon through its Ministry of Forests, Oceans, Environment and Climate Change has requested support in identifying priority SLCP mitigation measures quantified emissions of SLCPs, air pollutants and GHGs. Providing support to Gabon is an opportunity to strengthen the national planning process, and to leverage South-South cooperation between Gabon and other CCAC Partners from the region.
The CCAC is therefore seeking a National SLCP Expert to strengthen the capacity of Gabon’s Ministry of Forests, Oceans, Environment and Climate Change to coordinate national SLCP planning, policy, and implementation efforts aligned with NDC implementation.
The CCAC National SLCP Expert will work in close collaboration with the CCAC Secretariat team and focal points at the Ministry of Forests, Oceans, Environment and Climate Change to enhance awareness on national planning and SLCPs, and coordinate national SLCP planning, policy, and implementation efforts. The CCAC National SLCP Expert will also be responsible for development and implementation of SLCP emission and mitigation assessments and projects in key source sectors and fostering inter-ministerial collaboration across governments and engaging important stakeholders at the national level to effectively integrate SLCPs into national planning and to support implementation strategies.
1. Secure participation and buy-in from across government to develop/implement a National SLCP Strategy, including endorsement at high political level.
2. Strengthen the government’s capacity for developing and implementing SLCP mitigation actions, based on the CCAC’s integrated approach to climate change and air pollution reduction.
3. Integrate SLCP mitigation actions into relevant national processes, plans and strategies at national and sub-national level.
4. Propose national and international funding opportunities for implementation of National SLCP Strategy.
5. Raise awareness on SLCP at national/sub-national level
6. Ensure Gabon is an active CCAC State Partner and is leveraging benefits from the CCAC partnership (e.g. best practices shared, technical assistance, funding, bilateral partnerships, etc).
Fluency in French and English (written and spoken) is essential.
International travel may be required during this contract
Please be sure to indicate that you saw this position on Globaljobs.org